• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Zex kit help

todras

Pretty fly for a white guy *cowbell*
I bartered for a Zex dry kit. Now I'm researching what else I need. I don't have jets so I'll have to pick up a 35 and a 55 hp jet.

Thanks to this post with pics it looks very simple to hook up. Now all I have is the hose to run to the box, the Zex box, a bottle, and a bottle pressure gauge.

standard.jpg

What else do I need to get this to function safely on a 2.5 SVT? I don't have and arming switch. Should I be ok with stock APP764's with a 55 shot? I know a remote opener and a bottle warmer would be nice but what can I get away with for the essentials. And no I don't plan on having it tuned to run nitrous. From what I've read some have gone through tons of bottles with a 55 shot and stock plugs. Am I wrong in this thinking?

You need a bigger shot, that's what you need. Ok, ok, not the advice you were looking for, but it's a natural response. You'll feel the 50 shot, and want more, trust me. ;) If you do go bigger, let me know. I've got 6 NGK plugs in my garage that I never used when I had the bottle on my old 3L. I'll let them go, really cheap. :cool:

Mark

I have the vac. lines. Can I do a 75 shot safely w/o a tune? Something tells me no.

Just to give you an idea, I have been running my 75 shot for quite sometime now (2+ years) with no tune and I have not had any problems. However, my car is aggressively maintained and I use 2 gallons of VP M101 whenever I spray. I am also using one step colder plugs NGK TR6. So my guess is that you should be ok without a tune.

NO todras you can't run a 75 shot on a dry kit without a tune. you need about 18% more fuel to keep the AFR up. otherwise it will be running at about 15.5 at WOT which is definately in a danger zone. a 55 shot will run fine unless the car has a tune to be run right at 13:1 AFR. advanced timing on the high end is bad also, keep that in mind.

definately get a bottle heater, and keep the pressures between 900 and 1050 psi. run a WOT switch too, along with an arming switch. if you can get a flip switch or something you could get two tunes, one for nitrous and one N/A so you could run a 75 shot.

You can run a 75 shot without a tune, but a tune helps. Make sure you have the right plugs though.with the right plugs and proper install your afr should be safe with no tuning and a 75 shot.

The WOT switch is not needed, because the zex kit has one built in. It runs off of the tps voltage.

I would get an rpm window switch and fuel pressure safety switch as the first extras, bottle warmer would be last.

You also don't need anything other than premium gas. 93 is fine.

I would listen to tricker on this on Todd. I mean he seemed to have a more comprehensive setup and still smoked his motor.

Seems he may have learned something from this experience.

LMAO! Not really trying to dog him but he ran a 100 shot on a 200hp engine. Going to listen to others with the Zex kit. He had a different setup. I think with a wide band and plugs I could run a 75 shot. I have the modified a/f gauge grom gadgetseller.com already.

Yeah. You have the necessary knowledge and know what to be looking for so I am sure you will be fine. Not like you cant build up another in a weekend anyway right?

snip...What else do I need to get this to function safely on a 2.5 SVT? snip... From what I've read some have gone through tons of bottles with a 55 shot and stock plugs. Am I wrong in this thinking?

You need Venom. :troutslap:

Just kidding.

55 should be OK. I would not run a 75 witout some quality tuning. It wouldn't hurt to run one step cooler, but you don't need to for the Zex @ 55. RPM window switch would be a sound investment for your piece of mind; keep the spray in the sweet spot with lots o' fuel.

go ahead and listen to those guys then. it's fine todras. you guys say what you want. here's the first thing. running a 75 shot without the right amount of fuel is a waste, and will result in high combustion temperatures, which often turn the tops of pistons into dust, which gets into the cylinder walls, which will burn down an engine. this usually takes a long time to happen. fair warning.

and todras, you should read up on nitrous a little more. not to dog you, but every nitrous kit manufacturer says that the limit of nitrous you should run on a given engine is 50% of the max HP output. so...... i ran a 100 shot on a 200HP car, and that's about the limit. hmmm..... so am i stupid? yeah. stupid for running a 100 shot on a 164k mile motor. i'd put a 100 shot on my 3L all day every day no problem. i just might! but i'm thinking about a blower setup and about a 50 shot next time, that might be more fun :)

bear in mind also, that i didnt just slap on a nitrous kit. i had gotten fairly involved on my setup as far as the Air/Fuel while on/off the bottle, timing adjustments, Octane of fuel, Engine temperatures, and bottle pressures.

when you run two runs back to back your bottle pressure often drops around 800psi when on a hundred shot. my second pull i got pure liquid nitrous through the feed tube inside the bottle and got a fat shot which sent my Air/Fuel into the 9:1's. this much fuel/nitrous backed with an ignition that won't accept failure and something's gotta go. the wheels were loaded and the pistons were hyperutectic. it was bound to happen. i hate to get defensive because it really doesnt matter who you take advice from it's your own endavour anyways but i don't like people trash talking me because after two straight summers of running two bottles of nitrous at a 100 shot through my high mileage 2.5L motor i went to michigan and blew it up at the one place i hoped it wouldnt happen. i'm not ashamed of it and i'll be back with a bottle and then some. next time i'll do better ;)

Yea I know I need to get my learn on a lot. I'm a newb when it comes to this stuff. I have the basics. Just want a new toy in the car to keep it fresh. I have a 3L on back up. LOL

yeah. i bet you don't get through a whole bottle before you up it to a 75 shot. ;) nitrous is a blast. good luck with it, make sure you bring it to SZ08

Listen to whoever you want, but I had that exact same kit, didn't blow up my engine and have dyno graphs somewhere showing that the AFR is in a safe range when you use a 75 shot and no tuning (i'll have to go search for them).

Warmonger did my tuning, and even he said it was safe to run a 75 shot with no tuning as long as you have everything installed right and use the right plugs.

It is basically an on/off switch that will shut off the nitrous system if your fuel pressure drops below a level you set. I never used one, but planned on getting one as an extra precaution.

Back