• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Boost Controller

crewchiefpro

Hard-core CEG'er
My boost control is a cheap, spring loaded design. The engine will go to 15 lbs of boost when all hell breaks loose, then it will drop to 8 lbs. If I let it coast for a second then go back to full throttle it will jump to 15 and then do the same thing. It is hard to watch because the car is accelerating so hard but I am quite sure once it realizes the boost is too high it stops the boost at 8. Sure it is still fun but not as fun as 15 lbs. I am wondering if the problem may be in the waste gate instead.

I may have to go the way CSVT#49 and get a digital boost controller, however I needed to know if anyone has any luck with another brand or changing the waste gate spring before I make the switch.

Might be a combination of boost controller and wastegate. It sounds as the spring loaded control unit loses its spring pressure and can't handle the high pressure, and it goes down to a more reasonable pressure.

Try this and see what happens. Run the controller at 8 PSI and see if it holds, and if it does, increase the pressure by 1 psi and see if it drops. Repeat the 1 pound increase to see at what pressure is enough to make it drop.

It is possible that the wastegate and the controller need to match, (by type and brand) to make the system work.

He's right don. The problem is most likely your wastegate. If i'm correct, you're probably rocking the one that came in the npg kit. They're no-name ebay brands, but they work pretty well. Upping the boost is where the issue lies. The spring can't handle the high psi. When i was on the dyno, my tuner was baffled as to why the power would spike & plummet so rapidly as the spring approached it's limits. He advised i purchased a TIAL or another reputable one. And while i was at it, to dump the Turbo XS two stage controller that i have & get an EBC. Haven't done it yet, but i should in the very near future. Once you do that, there should be endless flow of powerrrr!

I took apart the cheap boost controller and found the ball bearing was getting hung up on a piece of copper. Cleaned it out and it works fine now. Seems once it opened it would not close, now it holds at 13 lbs. I will probably turn it up a bit more but right now it is hard to control even in 3rd gear.

I took apart the cheap boost controller and found the ball bearing was getting hung up on a piece of copper. Cleaned it out and it works fine now. Seems once it opened it would not close, now it holds at 13 lbs. I will probably turn it up a bit more but right now it is hard to control even in 3rd gear.

If it is hard to control at 13 psi, it should be reduced to make it manageable and not bend or break stuff. Found this out when I and my students built the 68 Chev truck I have. It has a S/C 572 with custom heads built for direct injection. With 1200 hp. the normal transmissions, even built transmissions won't take that kind of torque and power. Ended up using a commercial Allisson 6 speed automatic, which required heavy mods to the floorpan and frame crossmember, which had to be fabricated from scratch.

If it is hard to control at 13 psi, it should be reduced to make it manageable and not bend or break stuff. Found this out when I and my students built the 68 Chev truck I have. It has a S/C 572 with custom heads built for direct injection. With 1200 hp. the normal transmissions, even built transmissions won't take that kind of torque and power. Ended up using a commercial Allisson 6 speed automatic, which required heavy mods to the floorpan and frame crossmember, which had to be fabricated from scratch.

Naaa, that is part of the fun. I race cars for a living, so this isn't too difficult.

The engine is built for the power, the transmission is built for the power, the clutch never slips, so I just let it eat.

To bad about the transmission, my race car makes similar power and the transmission lasts 4 years before a rebuild.

Naaa, that is part of the fun. I race cars for a living, so this isn't too difficult.

The engine is built for the power, the transmission is built for the power, the clutch never slips, so I just let it eat.

To bad about the transmission, my race car makes similar power and the transmission lasts 4 years before a rebuild.

TH400 transmissions got ate up within a week in the truck. The Allisson 6 speed has been in there for 80,000 miles.

Back