• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Single Exhaust on SVT (Cougar)

TourEnvy

Hard-core CEG'er
I been really thinking about putting a new exhaust on my SVT. Im always up for custom or unique things, especially if it yields good results.

Ive noticed that some sources offer a single exhaust for the Cougar (4 or 6) and was wondering if anyone has any experience with its sound on a V6. Often I come across threads exclaiming the dual exhaust is raspy and has a tin sound. I too have some rasp, unless I really heat up the exhaust.

I know Pole has a Single Exhaust set up, but are there others (cougar owners) that has any experience?

Right now I have Stock Manifolds, SHO shop catless Y-pipe, no resonator and a custom built Magnaflow exhaust - The two mufflers run at an angle from the split to the tail pipe cut-outs.

It's getting a little old and the muffler welds have started to rot. I know that the exhaust will get no better when I go to headers and little more grunt down low which I lost going to the y-pipe would be okay with me.

Non-newb

I believe a standard bolt on cougar kit would not align with the bumper cut out on an SVT, because the Cougar tail pipe is closer to the center of the car. That obviously doesn't matter if you're going to customize it right away.

In my experience most of the rasp seems to come from not having cats. I'm not sure it has anything to do with dual vs single if using the same mufflers.

my friend has a single on his 2.5L Turbo and it sounds ok. Id still leave it dual though

In my experience most of the rasp seems to come from not having cats. I'm not sure it has anything to do with dual vs single if using the same mufflers.

THIS.

My Cougar sounded like hot buttered sex with MSDS headers, Borla cat-back, and the stock catalytic converter. I straight-piped the cat and it immediately sounded outrageously awful; so much so that it was embarrassing to drive it, the rasp as so bad.

I bolted in a high-flow cat instead of a straight-pipe, and it's great.

You need a catalytic converter, a muffler, and a resonator of some kind at the rear of the system to control the noise and make a pleasant sound.

I believe a standard bolt on cougar kit would not align with the bumper cut out on an SVT, because the Cougar tail pipe is closer to the center of the car. That obviously doesn't matter if you're going to customize it right away.

I agree with you, but without going backwards and replacing things I would like to explore post flex/y-pipe. If that involves throwing a couple resonators on instead, Id be okay with that.

Does putting a cat on so far down make sense?

I did come across someone that had to widen the width of the tail pipes of a cougar something like 8" total to make fit. Now with a single I dont know if it can be adjusted to align with the rear exit on that side.

Here is a single for a Cougar (I tried to put the piece together in my head, doesnt look right to me:

OI_cougar.jpg

my friend has a single on his 2.5L Turbo and it sounds ok. Id still leave it dual though

"Ok", We know the turbo has alot of play in that. At least you didnt say it sounded bad....

Any experience around modified NSXs? They have kits that go back to a single and it sounds like an F1.

THIS.

My Cougar sounded like hot buttered sex with MSDS headers, Borla cat-back, and the stock catalytic converter. I straight-piped the cat and it immediately sounded outrageously awful; so much so that it was embarrassing to drive it, the rasp as so bad.

I bolted in a high-flow cat instead of a straight-pipe, and it's great.

You need a catalytic converter, a muffler, and a resonator of some kind at the rear of the system to control the noise and make a pleasant sound.

I hear ya and familiar what everyone's is saying about the cat and resonator thing. I just feel like going backwards isnt the only option. Like I mentioned I would like to work on the "cat" back and feel like there is a solution.

Im pretty open about solutions. Im not really looking for a particular sound. I could careless if it was low pitch or high pitch, if it was single or dual. I just would like to think out side the box a little and possibly come to a different conclusion. Loud would be great.

Here's somepics of the modifications needed to make to the used cougar exhaust I picked up. Mainly added about 4-5 in to the pipe after the split to bring the tailpipe to the svt exhaust cutout. And then since you moved the pipe to the other side of the hanger you need to either turn around the hanger ir add another piece to the hanger which I did

nahy5y4y.jpg

mu7ybuda.jpg

eduby2aq.jpg

dahyqyje.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A lot of it comes down to personal preference, i'm still younger so loud doesn't bother me, rasp never sounds good, drone is annoying. If your trying to go single just for a more subtile sound i don't think you will get what you want. My opinion: Repair your exhaust the way it is, and get a large resonator. Largest one you can fit, I'd have to measure to be sure but something like Magnaflow 12640. No Resonator + No cats = Rasp.

I think the correct way, and why cat's are closer to the engine is the converter needs to heat up to do it's job.

FWIW, I've had multiple exhaust setups with no cat.
Old - Headers, sho shop catless y to borla catback is still my favorite sounding :drool: no rasp or drone, it was amazing. Cruising was near stock, opening it up was duratec ear drum sex.

Current - Headers True duals, magnaflow x muffler 2 bosal brospeed mufflers, MUCH louder, a little drone on the freeway. No rasp.

Thanks for the pictures solo.

Beans, I'm not trying to go for a more subtle sound. Actually, opposite. I would love for it to be louder then it is now. Which I can set off alarms. Lol. I just want to get rid of the rasp too.

Walk me through you old set up. How many muffles and resonators.

I'm glad you chimed in because I like to hear what I'm thinking is possible with out going backwards.

Ah. For more aggressive sound dual is the way to go. Well i had weapon r headers, same y pipe as you and the true borla catback. It was pretty tame even at wot compared to my setup now. But it sounded good.

True borla has one main oval muffler, no bigger then 4x8" then splits to two rear mufflers maybe 4x6"

But that is Borla, they are deep but not raspy. You start mixing different sizes and brands it will yield different results with sound... Your still on precats. Plan on gutting those or getting headers? What size rear mufflers? Race or street series?

I would like to try the Type-S style mufflers used in the "Stinger" catback offered for the Mustang. Its a specialty muffler offered by Borla. A straight thru design relatively short in length.

Two of those at the back obviously and then something else for a resonator in the tunnel based on what your saying.

I want all 2.5" stainless with the same size tips i have now. I think they are 4" single -wall. Not sure if ill go single-wall or double on this setup.

I haven't read through the responses here, but I can give some feedback on the original subject of single SVT exhaust. With my 3L track car build I went with a basic 2.5" Cougar single kit, catted, with Borla XS muffler and Magnaflow resonated tip. It fit fine. I also have MSDS headers and Y-pipe. This is what it looks like beside the stock SVT exhaust:

2013-02-28_20-14-13_134.jpg

It sounds great. Here is a clip from inside the car:

Awesome man! Thanks for chiming in. Was there a particular reason you went with single rather then double?

It does sound good. Sounds to be a little tame from your interior. Any exterior videos?

Primary reason: Weight. Even with larger diameter tubing than stock, the single assembly is 20lb lighter.
Secondary reason: Recovery. Hopefully you'll never have a reason to find out there isn't a great way to pull an SVT from the rear. An open fascia cutout allowed me to bend one of the original tie-down brackets in line with the opening and hook a strap to it. Simple tow solution. See below.

IMG_20130915_123903_028.jpg

I don't have any exterior vids with the new engine or exhaust. It's definitely not what I'd call tame sounding though. It's pretty mellow, but all the devices are straight flow-through so it really rumbles and roars.

Single Exhaust on SVT (Cougar)

I really like your approach. What system is the one you shared? Appears to be a Trubendz with a resonated tip added on, no? Also, if any modification is needed or is it relatively a bolt on kit. I would like to install it and have a shop then weld it if I'm happy with it.

Back