• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Custom Exhaust for More HP?

dchawk81

CEG'er
Has anyone experimented with bigger (diameter wise) exhausts under the V6 Contour? I may be needing to replace mine soon so figured I'd look into the options. I know some exhaust guys who have done custom work for me in the past without charging a ton for it. I wondered if it's worth helping the flow a little even if just from the y pipe back.

Short answer: Yes. 2.5 inch coming out of the cat, going back to the Y split then into 2.25 inch quasi duals is what I have. Some have true duals.Some guys have maybe 3" catback to the rear y split, but I don't figure you need that with a 2.5 NA engine. Better flow mufflers may be worth say 1 hp or so by themselves. All kinds of research was done on this topic 10 years ago or more. I hated the stock y pipe, even optimized and msds y pipe is not much better. I'd rec you look at the simple design of the BAT y pipe, same as what SHO Shop used to do, using a 2 into 1 cat. I feel that y pipe set up was worth like 4 hp by itself, more when used with other mods, optimized stock was maybe worth .5 or 1 hp by itself. There are standard 2 into 1 cats out there, maybe matched up with some simple pipes from the manifolds you can do the same thing for a competitive (cheap?) price. The original Mr. CEG, founder Lance, had the Sho Shop Y as did I.

Thanks for the input. I don't want to go crazy or anything since it's just the automatic SE sport model and I'm happy enough as it is performance-wise BUT if/when it needs replaced I'll consider going bigger.

Thanks for the input. I don't want to go crazy or anything since it's just the automatic SE sport model and I'm happy enough as it is performance-wise BUT if/when it needs replaced I'll consider going bigger.

Honestly, the most cost effective route would be to get a used SVT exhaust in good condition.

Honestly, the most cost effective route would be to get a used SVT exhaust in good condition.

That's not a bad idea but truth be told I have this anti-used compulsion. I cringe a little like fingernails to chalkboard when I have no choice but to buy a used part so if I do need a new exhaust I'll go with all new. This way I can write down in my ledger that it was replaced on X date with Y mileage and know for certain it had no life before that.

Thanks again for your input guys. It's all moot now since someone bought the car a couple days ago.

Back