• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

2 Bolt Cat vs 3 Bolt Cat Dimensions

Quicksilver

CEG'er
My SVT (98.5 E1) came with a 2 bolt cat, while the 99-00 came with a 3 bolt ... My question is this: Is the main cat and the pipe extension combo that connects to the cat-back the same length??

Here are the pictures of the two for comparison purposes:

The 2 bolt Cat configuration seems to be much straighter and longer than the 3 bolt which has that weird bend before it connects to the cat back.

I would assume that the lengths are identical as the SVTs all came with the same cat back exhausts ... Please advise

2 Bolt vs 3 Bolt Cats

2 Bolt vs 3 Bolt Cats

My SVT (98.5 E1) came with a 2 bolt cat, while the 99-00 came with a 3 bolt ... My question is this: Is the main cat and the pipe extension combo that connects to the cat-back the same length??

Here are the pictures of the two for comparison purposes:

The 2 bolt Cat configuration seems to be much straighter and longer than the 3 bolt which has that weird bend before it connects to the cat back.

I would assume that the lengths are identical as the SVTs all came with the same cat back exhausts ... Please advise.

No. The 3 bolt is shorter and uses a flex pipe to connect the cat section to the Y. The 2 bolt is longer and uses a fiber donut gasket that connects the cat section to the Y. The 2 bolt Y has a raised area the donut fits around for a snug fit.

Overall length between the 2 is the same (with the 3 bolt flex pipe), but I'm not sure if the angles they connect to the cat-back are the same.

Just a point of clearification, the 3-bolt y-pipe was on all years equiped with an ATX. The 5-spd cars got them in 2k, or late 99, perhaps at the same time the fuel system changed from return to returnless.

As noted overall they are the same length and would believe they are interchangable as a whole setup.

Brapple...the 2 bolt Y pipe has a thick raised "lip" which extends out 1/2" that the donut gasket goes on to allow for some flex. I think that lip would interfere with a later 3 bolt flex pipe...which would need a flush mounting surface.

Brapple...the 2 bolt Y pipe has a thick raised "lip" which extends out 1/2" that the donut gasket goes on to allow for some flex. I think that lip would interfere with a later 3 bolt flex pipe...which would need a flush mounting surface.

Yes ... like I said they are interchangeable on a whole ... two bolt y-pipe has to go with a 2 bolt cat, etc. The 3 bolt flex pipe can not bolt to the 2 bolt cat ...

This is correct. I've swapped a couple cars to/from 3-bolt/2-bolt Cat and Y assemblies.

I concur as I also have swapped out the assembly on my car when I used the 3 bolt flanged WR y-pipe. All you need is the flex joint and 3 bolt cat pipe.

Back