• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

How many catalytic converters on SVT? Does anyone have pictures of the factory exhaust?

AGrayson84

CEG'er
Hi everyone, I am looking at purchasing an SVT and one that I have my eyes on says it is throwing a code for catalytic converter efficiency. The person didn't mention which code specifically, nor which catalytic converter. I am waiting to hear back from the person, but in the meantime I was wondering how many catalytic converters these cars have?

I tried doing a Google search, and even tried adding the car as my current vehicle on the AutoZone website but I'm seeing so many different configurations. It seems like there is one converter directly attached to each exhaust manifold. The next part I can't determine. Is there a rear converter for EACH exhaust bank? Or does it form into a "Y" after the front converters, and then only have a 3rd converter after the Y?

Is the factory cat-back a single pipe inlet that splits into two pipes toward the rear? Does anyone by any chance have pictures of the factory exhaust system? I'm mainly in need of pictures of the front part of the system where the converters are and where everything meets the cat-back. Thanks!!!!!

-Andrew

Each exhaust manifold has a small catalyst cast into it. Both manifolds come together into a Y-pipe collector. Then there is another large catalyst behind the Y. So this is the correct guess:

Or does it form into a "Y" after the front converters, and then only have a 3rd converter after the Y?

This is also correct:

Is the factory cat-back a single pipe inlet that splits into two pipes toward the rear?

The split is just aft of the rear sub-frame. Check the Classifieds section; there are TONS of exhaust system photos in there from people listing them for sale.

Thanks so much for the great info! I went to the for sale section and saw exactly what you were talking about. Now need to locate a nice Silver Frost or Black SVT contour with the Midnight Blue interior by Saturday, and for $3k or less :)

Back