• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

OBX vs. MSDS headers?

I am definitely considering doing headers while my engine is still out, but not sure which way I should go here. The OBX stainless steel ones are right around $350 shipped and include the Y-Pipe, but are only available (from what I understand) with the 3 bolt flange, and my 1999 Cougar is 2 bolt. I contacted MSDS directly and can get the headers and Y-Pipe UNCOATED for $435 + shipping. So probably a hair over $100 difference. So I'm trying to determine which way I should go.

• I have heard rumors that the OBX (old Weapon R design) are smaller in diameter, is this true?
  • If I went with the MSDS, will header paint be sufficient for them?
  • If I went with OBX, what exactly has to be done to make them fit on my 2 bolt system?
  • Would I be impacted badly if I got JUST the headers at this time, and added the Y-Pipe at a later date since that is doable with the engine in the car?

I've been searching both here and NECO (I will cross post this there as well to get as many opinions as possible) and not found these answers yet, primarily about the OBX headers as I'm not really familiar with them.

IIRC the 2 bolt y-pipe bolts with a silver donut gasket directly to the catalytic converter. It is the joint that flexes with engine movement. The 3 bolt y-pipe bolts to a flex pipe about 6 inches long between it and the catalytic converter. I feel the 2 bolt is less restrictive and feeds more smoothly to the cat. If you look at a 3 bolt system it has the cat slightly rotated in relation to the centerline of the car and has a couple of light bends in the connection piping.

The OBX has a smaller outlet when compared to the MSDS. I noticed this when putting headers on a friends car, I had just put MSDS on mine, and when doing his, I noticed that they are a good 1/4 to 1/2 inch smaller in outlet diameter. You can always put the headers on first and the Y pipe later. Header paint will just peel off.

The OBX has a smaller outlet when compared to the MSDS. I noticed this when putting headers on a friends car, I had just put MSDS on mine, and when doing his, I noticed that they are a good 1/4 to 1/2 inch smaller in outlet diameter.

I've got OBX, and the outlet diameter is 2.75 inches. Unless you're pushing more than 300 horses, there's nothing to really worry about. Some people will argue MSDS is better, I say if you're worried about rust; go OBX, if you're going to coat them or are not too worried about rust; it's your choice. If your turbo'd and the MSDS ones really are half an inch wider in diameter, you'll want MSDS. A 3.25 inch outlet should be able to max out around 425 hp before it starts to restrict it.

Jet Hot coating is the way to go. i haven't look closely at my recently, however for a few years and use with the turbo the coating was still intact.

This is the truth. I painted mine (MSDS) with high-temp header paint before my install and it lasted about two weeks before I noticed peeling. All I was trying to do was to keep any surface rust from forming.

Then you did it wrong.

I painted mine about 5 years ago, and they still look very nice, even with year-round 4-seasons driving. I used an entire can of ceramic hi-temp on each bank, in dozens of light coats. I let it sit and cure for a week before installing them, too.

If you just blast it on there and go, it will peel off.

Then you did it wrong.

I painted mine about 5 years ago, and they still look very nice, even with year-round 4-seasons driving. I used an entire can of ceramic hi-temp on each bank, in dozens of light coats. I let it sit and cure for a week before installing them, too.

If you just blast it on there and go, it will peel off.

I followed the directions on the can. I don't remember now what those directions were, but I know I followed them, because I wanted the paint to last. No such luck.

I followed the directions on the can. I don't remember now what those directions were, but I know I followed them, because I wanted the paint to last. No such luck.

Same here. I even let mine sit in my green house for over a week before installing them, and did the curing process with them on the car.

I've got OBX, and the outlet diameter is 2.75 inches. Unless you're pushing more than 300 horses, there's nothing to really worry about. Some people will argue MSDS is better, I say if you're worried about rust; go OBX, if you're going to coat them or are not too worried about rust; it's your choice. If your turbo'd and the MSDS ones really are half an inch wider in diameter, you'll want MSDS. A 3.25 inch outlet should be able to max out around 425 hp before it starts to restrict it.

I have been looking at the OBX headers. I am wondering if they will bolt up to the trubendz bolt on exhaust with out any issues? Also would the 2.25" or 2.5" pipe work better with the OBX headers?

I am about to order MSDS Headers, the guy from MSDS said that there is some difficulty to installing them. From what i've seen on my car it won't be anything unusual. Is there some fabrication required that I don't know about for the MSDS Headers?

I'm replacing the clutch, engine oil pan gasket, and the rack & pinion so i'm going to just pull the engine and trans out. That's why i'm doing the exhaust now. I'm hoping the car will sound better once the msds headers, and weapon-r intake are on. I went with clutchnet stage 1 and aluminum flywheel, so i'm hoping everything gets better after this.

I just ordered the full MSDS kit with the headers, y-pipe, MIL eliminators, gaskets, ect. I also found out from Marty at MSDS that the reason OBX headers are not available anywhere now is because MSDS just won a lawsuit against them for copying their design. Sounds like MSDS is going to be pretty much the only option for contour svt now.

Are you referring to the outlet of the y-pipe?

Back