• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Largest Possible Resonator Dimensions?

SkullV

Veteran CEG'er
Figured it out. Magnaflow #10435 is the one to go with.

ScreenShot2013-04-11at111958AM_zpse6f7489c.png

Why would you run this? Don't people just cut them off

Cut off resonators sound like garbage in my opinion. Raspy garbage, especially with no pre-cats. This will eliminate the neck down to 2" and keep things 2.25" It will also sound a bit deeper but not louder. Exactly what I'm looking for.

Ok I'm glad I didn't take my cat off. But if I take the one off after the header on the y-pipe, use this resonator?

I wouldn't take the main cat off, between the smell and rasp it would drive me nuts. But yes, if you want to replace your resonator with anything, that is a good option. You can also go with some of the shorter options if you want things to be louder but they won't filter as much rasp. They seem to come in 14", 18" and 28" lengths.

I cut my resonator off and I have no rasp no popping. But isn't there a cat on the header? With o2 sensor? And one on the y-pipe with no o2 sensor?

There is a cat on each exhaust manifold and a cat right after the y pipe. I have aftermarket headers with no pre-cats. My first SVT had gutted pre-cats, no main cat and no resonator and I HATED the sound. Exhaust sound is a very personal thing though. Everyone has their own taste and most of the time people won't like exactly the same thing.

We'll see how I like the sound with this resonator replacement. Based on a ton of exhaust setups on a ton of cars I'm pretty sure I'll like it, but if not, I'll replace it with a 18".

Ok I just making sure haven't crawled u set mine to look yet. Thanks man I know u posted. Now all I need is a set of headers and I'm good

Forgot to update this thread. The Magnaflow # 10435 went in without a hitch. Added a little piece of pipe before the resonator and nothing after. Fits at an angle perfectly and doesn't contact any heat shielding or cause any rattles:

5DDEB6BF-CC81-4407-8B64-2EE7B643DD82-721-0000008DA1C9CDE0_zps14319b8d.jpg

37F750E1-F106-4D3C-8462-42338D795044-721-0000008D9AE4BC69_zpsf8028ffc.jpg

I was able to fit a 7" round 34" long magnaflow xl3 down the tunnel. And that's behind a 5" x 8" x 14" dual inlet single outlet magnaflow xl3 that's in the front of the tunnel. My headers and custom y pipe made it so loud and raspy I was embarrassed to drive it and had to add the truck size muffler in there. It still isn't clean and a hair loud for my liking.

That's not a resonator Mate. Now, this is a resonator. :laugh:

3" pipe, 16" X 6.25" round Borla XR-1 on my SHO. The multi-core XR-1's are expensive, but they are the quietest, least restrictive, best sounding mufflers out there, IMO. They were designed to quiet Mazda rotary engines, which when un-muffled, make the loudest, most awful sound on The Planet.

Back