• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Exhaust help

No, not the same thing. Some people gut the precats in the exhaust manifolds. The y-pipe optimization is a little further down the exhaust system. 2 different modifications.

I haven't got under mine yet so there's 4 cats? Ok on the y-pipe thing I'm gonna need some more info on a how to. Please and thanks

only 3 cats, two manifolds and 1 after the y pipe, the one after that in the center of the car is a resonator, shop manual calls it the "center muffler"

Optimized Y-pipe is just as it sounds. The exhaust banks come together in a Y connection. The fork of the Y is quite pinched and restrictive. Two round pipes are pinched into D shapes to share the bolt flange that connects to the flex pipe. Doing the mod involves cutting out the pinched piping and putting in full diameter pipe. Use the search at the top of page with optimize should get the how to threads. If you don't want to try the mod there are aftermarket Y-pipes available too.

Thanks solo I tired looking for it yesterday and found it on a different website but hell I'm not doing that I know for sure ill mess it up, I found a header and y-pipe for $350 that I'm gonna get. But thanks for your help

If you're talking about the OBX stuff on eBay, keep in mind that the headers will need to be modified to work properly.

Ok so I'll use them with a tune or mils that's not a big deal. And anyone that can tig weld can put them on and missing a bung is nothing new, I don't plan on running cats any ways I live where we can pollute the air.

Back