• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

interesting y pipe design

KAOS_3.0

Hard-core CEG'er
just saw this on an MPV forum, thought it was of interest:

download.php

it bolts to custom long tube headers, some guy in australia had it fabbed up.

I think he was trying to make an equal length exhaust system. I would bet that after the header pipes meet the collector you're not going to see any gains. Plus if there are any gains to made with the "Y" pipe being equal length I would bet he's losing any gains when those exhaust gases have to make two 180 deg. turns!

well obviously he's trying to make an equal length exhaust system. I would think the exhaust pulse being in tune would help pull the exhaust around those extra bends. dont forget, our stock y-pipes do the same thing, just on a smaller scale...

my only real question is if something like this could be made to FIT our cars...

why not get the measurments and try it out then? I am going to say there isn't room for something like that under the Contour. But until someone tries or measures it up we are not going to know.

yes the stock y-pipe has a 180 bend in it. However, iirc, people lost torque when using a BAT y-pipe which did away with the 180 bend.

yeah, I agree with pretty much everything you said. I didnt think it would fit, but thought it was of interest like I said.

never hurts to throw new ideas out there.

Interesting concept but not the first to do it! Someone prior did an equal length system while incorporating another bend at the rear bank. yet he took the front bank and ran the pipe under the oil pan :nonono:. Since the equal length would reduce collision with the pulses, they still wouldn't be timed properly with the front bank unless testing took place separately between the banks to gauge an accurate timing. So it's nice in theory to reach that goal but it's a waste of time and money....staying with a stock setup would just be easier. By far a modified y-pipe is best imho.

Installing the bat setup doesn't necessarily lose trq yet it does reduce low end hp numbers. Still the bend removed which is incorporated in the timing of the pcm needs to be edited to facilitate the increase of flow. Yet again your talking marginal gains here for adjusting. Your gonna get better gains tuning for the increase of exhaust flow then tuning for the bend being removed.

Either way tinking with any new idea is fun....man the best is when they first thought the 3.0l wouldn't work in our cars....:crazy:

Back