• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Exhaust rasp help and clarification

rexxdoggy

Hard-core CEG'er
So I'm reading up different things on how to get rid of this exhaust rasp that I have. I've been hearing everything from cherry bombs/glass packs, resonators, to new mufflers. I always thought throwing in the resonator would help it, but I've heard a lot recently saying the cherry bomb/glass packs do a better job. Well, what's the best? Lol my current exhaust set up are gutted manifolds, sho shop y pipe with cat delete, into stock non resonated svt cat back. I wanted to throw in a resonator to where the stock one used to be, and the deleted cat is where a majority of the rasp is coming from too. The exhaust is pretty decently loud, and I wouldn't mind if the loudness was toned down. My main concern is getting rid of the damn rasp, though.

I have been reading about exhaust resonators for over an hour now and right when I think I've got my mind made up I read something that totally contradicts what I've got my mind set one.

This is just an opinion, I think with the cat being deleted rasp is going to be tough to eliminate. I'm running headers into a bat y/cat and it's all stock from there back, I still have rasp at wot. I was honestly considering replacing the resonator with at Cherrybomb glasspack. In reading previous posts, some people love it, some people say it's cheap garbage and some say it's not much louder than stock?? I'm at a loss man, I think I'm over thinking it at this point.

Mikey you need to get a high flow cat and a resonator....just adding a resonator isn't going to completely cure your rasp. After our dyno day 2 years ago I had my main cat cut out and it sounded horrible afterwards. Keep in mind I had a stock resonator and stock mufflers.

17 Mufflers, 3 resonators, and a low flow cat might cure the rasp....maybe.

Seriously, I remember seeing a video awhile back of a turbo'd 3L with two resonators and no mufflers and there wasnt any rasp but it was loud. IIRC its the angle of the exhaust manifold that give the car its rasp. 2 resonators would probably cure you of the rasp.

I still have some rasp at WOT with this setup:

msds header==xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx====magnaflo XL muffler
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx===stock y pipe======test pipe=======magnaflo resonator==
msds header==xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx====magnaflo XL muffler

I still have some rasp at WOT with this setup:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx===stock y pipe======test pipe=======magnaflo resonator==

Get a catalytic converter and I am pretty sure it will go away. I didn't have any on my stock exhaust with headers until I cut my damn converter out :mad:

I have no rasp, but you also cant hear my car.

MSDS Headers, MSDS Y pipe, gutted main cat, stock resonator, stock SVT mufflers.

Back