• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

msds y-pipe question

csvt4u98

New CEG'er
im a new member and new tio these cars. i have a 98 svt contour and was wondering what difference would i feel with an msds y-pipe over stock, is it worth the $234 with shipping? what gains will i see from this part? thanks for any input.

There are mixed opinions over the MSDS Y-Pipe. The MSDS is similar in design to the stock y pipe, therefore a gutted stock y-pipe will provide similar gains without the cost. The BAT Y-pipe is more durable and will provide a slightly larger power gain, but it is recommended to have the car tuned with it. The other options are the Weapon R y-pipe and the Tru Bendz...from what I've heard the Weapon R y-pipe only fits well with the weapon r headers, not sure about the tru bendz.

what at some good places to buy these parts for the car? all i know of is nautilus performance and they only have the msds y pipe avail.

There are mixed opinions over the MSDS Y-Pipe. The MSDS is similar in design to the stock y pipe, therefore a gutted stock y-pipe will provide similar gains without the cost. The BAT Y-pipe is more durable and will provide a slightly larger power gain, but it is recommended to have the car tuned with it. The other options are the Weapon R y-pipe and the Tru Bendz...from what I've heard the Weapon R y-pipe only fits well with the weapon r headers, not sure about the tru bendz.
Don't bother with the msds y-pipe. I have owned them all...and my bat pipe.... similar to the trubendz was the best one. I did end up ditching all of them and building my true duals.
Tru bendz will fit on the weaponr r headers. Don't bother with the msds pipe unless you get it really cheap. The short bend in it really reduces cfm flow from the exhaust side. Gut your stock one or go with the trubendz. And no...removing the bend (Pulses) will not be a problem .

IF you do buy one, buy one that is made out of stainless steel if you live in an area of the country that uses salt on it's roads in the winter. The regular steel will rust and rust badly at all of the welds on the Y pipe.

Ask me how I know this.

I just finished building my own Y pipe from parts of the stock Y pipe )That I saved when I changed it.) and some stainless steel tubing I bought on line to replace the Trubenz Y pipe I bought a bit over 3 years ago.

I believe he's referring to the headers final setting point. Which would allow the weapon R to fit to MSDS headers.

Back