• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

98 csvt cat convertor question.

csvt4u98

New CEG'er
i have a question about my exhaust. i know the car has a primary cat and then 2 precats on each exhaust manifold with 02 sensors. my question is, if i put a straight pipe and delete the primary car will i get a check engine light? there is no 02 sensor on this cat, im just trying to give the car a little more of a rumble and make it sound a tad better, i am deleting the resonator. any input would be great. thanks.

I busted out my main Cat (both bricks), and then got the P0420 / P0421?? Code. I think those were the numbers, but whatever number it was, I know for sure it was stated "Cat bank 1 and 2 system inefficient"
So, Im not sure where it came from. But I assume the less restrictive flow causes the precats to run cooler, causing an inefficient code? Someone give me some input on this!

that would be P0420 bank 1 and P0430 bank 2.
if you've removed any material between the upstream and downstream o2 sensors thats where the codes came from.
I've also seen leaks, extra air induced in the cat cause the codes.
hope your not in an emissions control area

I busted out my main Cat (both bricks), and then got the P0420 / P0421?? Code. I think those were the numbers, but whatever number it was, I know for sure it was stated "Cat bank 1 and 2 system inefficient"
So, Im not sure where it came from. But I assume the less restrictive flow causes the precats to run cooler, causing an inefficient code? Someone give me some input on this!

those are not the main cat, those are the pre-cats. and yes removal of those will set the P0420 and P0430 codes.

to the OP, the main cat is not monitored on the Contour. However late model Cougars it is. But in this case I believe there is no downstream pre-cat sensor.

Last edited:
Yes, P0420 bank 1 and P0430 bank 2. When I say I removed the cats both bricks, I am talking about the one after the flex pipe in the exhaust. Not the ones in the header exhaust manifold.
I don't believe there are any leaks in my system.

What are these cats you all speak of?

Precats? meow.

kitties-in-teamugs.jpg

Aww... Why would anyone want to delete those little guys! Haha. Seriously, what could i do without doing damage to my rig? What benefits would i get from gutting them?

Back