• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

svt exhaust resonator.

I've searched, but alot of the how to's and explanations have become defunct, so I'm looking for some advice here.

I'm replacing the stock svt resonator, on a completely stock exhaust system. And I want to keep that nice deep exhaust tone when I open the car up, but without any rasp. I've had a glasspack on my previous car, but it still had some rasp to it especially when it was cold.

So heres my question..

I want to see some gains in fuel economy, and if 1 or 2 ponies are freed up, I'm ok with that too.

But i'm not fond of the magnaflow resonators.

Would a Flowmaster 10 series muffler flow well, and reduce rasp, and give me that nice exhaust tone, or Am I better off just sticking with a hi flow res/ glasspack?

i actually just got out of the muffler shop and deleted the resonator on a completely stock exhaust. he put a straight pipe in it and it sounds great. a little bit more rumble but not loud at all or raspy. it sounds really good. it only cost me $40 and i can tell the difference a bit, that resonator was very restrictive.

I installed a glass pack muffler and like the sound. It growls when you get on it and as you accerate but once up to speed it gets as quiet as stock, as long as you cruise at a speed about 55 mph. At around 50 mph it does drone a bit but above 60 mph it's quiet until you get near tripple diggets, but where can you do that legally?

I just took a trip of 250+ miles and got just over 30 MPG and could have done better.

Magnaflow 10435 was what people were using 'back in the day'. I had one on my SVT for quite a while before I got the Borla for it. I always liked the sound of it.

I doubt you'll notice any difference in either performance or fuel economy just swapping the resonator.

Back