• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

CEL Cat codes how to fix Non-fouler method

SVOFANATIC

Veteran CEG'er
Well I decided to make this to help those who have catless y pipes, or like me just have crappy cats and have the codes basically for $11 and a run to napa you can "fix" your cats :laugh:. You do this by taking a spark plug non-fouler part number 730-2442 from napa buying two/2 packs

e2ac2f21.jpg

drilling out the center of one of these (there are two per pack) per pack with a 1/2 in drill bit from this side.

ea2e6605.jpg

You want to drill it out from here you can use either a vise or a pair of vise grips like me and just putting your foot on it. just make sure you go straight as you could cause it to split.

3511e08b.jpg

When you are done drilling through it should look like this.

a5394ca2.jpg

You then take the other non-fouler in the pack and thread the drilled one into it (do not lose the crush washer other wise leaky exhaust) make sure it it tight.

f5c8f0e3.jpg

After ward you remove your O2 sensors and thread them into the side you drilled out then tighten them into the exhaust. In theory this should move your o2 out of the stream thus reading less carbon monoxide and tricking the compter to thinking it's ok. Now I don't know if our o2's will trigger a lean code or not but this method is being used on my brothers car and he has no o2 code with the car.

I will update with more info when I have it will see if the car throws a code or not.

Only took a year my god. As to further info for anyone driven the car 20k miles with these car codes never came back.

FWIW you can usually just use one of the non foulers per side. It's usually sufficient to pull the o2 that far out of the stream. That makes it so one pack is enough for the whole car.

Back