• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

steel vs stainless headers (aka - MSDS vs RaceBits) :)

Not trying to resurrect a dead thread, but, those RaceBits headers and Y-Pipe are the best looking ones I've seen - for any car. Really stellar work.

Makes me want to buy another SVT so I can do a 3L turbo'd set up on one, and use the RaceBits exhaust parts on a N/A car. Decisions... another CSVT or remain married...

Cars don't complain about the house:laugh:

I may be in the market for some new headers: my MSDS header flange has warped!

Will the Race Bits header hold up any better? From these pics I see that the flange is thicker but does not appear to be cut like the MSDS flange to allow for for expansion/contraction. Then again, the MSDS flange warped anyway, so this could all be moot.

Anybody care to offer up a longevity report? Any turbo owners using these things? Got leaks?!? :blackeye:

Cars don't complain about the house:laugh:

You are SOOOOO correct, lol...

The Racebits may be SS, lighter, and have a thicker flange, but the MSDS is better designed... I bought the Racebits in February, yet to install them ... I started a thread in Pics and Vids on this ...

Until I see numbers, i.e.: performance/horsepower/torque/gas mileage numbers, comparing the two, I'm not going to agree or disagree about which is the best design. While equal length tubes are usually the best design philosophy, I wonder whether they would make that big of a difference, considering the size of the stock units. When Ford shipped the 'stang with shorty headers, I think Bassani made a set with equal length tubes that looked like a glob of chrome spaghetti, cost an arm and a leg, but, didn't produce much more power or torque than the stock set, let alone less expensive aftermarket options. I think the best design would be the one that provides the best scavenging effect and keeps exhaust velocity up. I doubt either one of these will fail in that effort. In either case, though, I doubt the headers will make much, if any improvement if the rest of the exhaust system is stock...

I have the Racebits headers on my Mondeo and they look good, but recently there's been a few Quality Control issues with the manufacture of these headers. The Y-pipe didn't line up with the headers when bolted onto the engine (that's two I know of now that has had that problem), and one guy had a set that did fit, but fell apart after about 6 months, and he DID have a flexi installed. I have noticed that the y-pipe is a better, more open design than the MSDS y-pipe.

Back