• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Zetec Exhaust

mystiquevltwin

Hard-core CEG'er
For a while now, ive been wanting to put an exhaust on my Zetec, but ive got a few problems/questions

I already have a Magnaflow resonator on the car that I have had on there for a couple years. That alone gives it a throatier grumble about it, but I still have the stock muffler in place.

Id like to replace the stock muffler with a Magnaflow, but I cant for the life of me find one that will fit the Zetec's tiny 1-3/4" exhaust. I had bought a muffler with a larger diameter and tried to make it work with a coupler to make up for the size difference, but I found with that on, I could not get the muffler to fit in the area before the pipe bend (after the wheel if that makes sense)

My question is, does anyone know if Magnaflow makes a muffler that is that small of a diameter and it not, what can I do without redoing the entire exhaust to make it work. Also, what size length will fit in the space available?

I don't wanna stray too far from the topic at hand, but the SVT exhaust pipe fits nice and snug over the Zetec pipe and can be welded on with great ease....Just sayin' :laugh:

you wont see any gains without going to larger piping, so its worth doing it right and going with either 2.25" or 2.5" piping from the flex pipe back.

you wont see any gains without going to larger piping, so its worth doing it right and going with either 2.25" or 2.5" piping from the flex pipe back.

Honestly, im not really looking for any HP gains. Its a N/A Zetec that ive come to terms with its slowness haha. Im really just looking for sound. Ultimatly, Id love to re-do the entire exhaust, but for now, im just going for sound.

in that case, since you already have a resonator installed, just install straight pipe to the back with a decent tip. The Zetec sounds pretty decent (good for a 4 cyl) just straight piped. I ran with just a resonated tip on my turbo setup and it sounded pretty damn good.

in that case, since you already have a resonator installed, just install straight pipe to the back with a decent tip. The Zetec sounds pretty decent (good for a 4 cyl) just straight piped. I ran with just a resonated tip on my turbo setup and it sounded pretty damn good.

Id like to do that, but I think PA inspection would not :p

tell them the resonator under the car is the muffler? :laugh:

SRT4 Neons dont have any mufflers stock (just 2 small resonators) and they obviously pass inspection. :shrug:

I'm looking to rework my exhaust from the header all the way back, so I'm looking for ideas. I want to be able to converse in the car, but hopefully still hear it. I currently have a busted off flexpipe, rusting resonator (holes) and a strait piped muffler - and it is loud as hell. I'm looking for some part numbers if you got any.

u said ur's was 1-3/4" on ur zetec but i've mesured mine and it's 2" on the nose? it's stock exhaust piping. mine's a 98, if ur's is the earlier model then they may have changed that but i have had no problems with finding mufflers/exhaust parts for my zetec.

Edit: from the resenator back it's 1 7/8"

Can you post up some links of where you got your exhaust. Im lookin to fully redo my exhaust from the headers back. I also have a 98' zetec vct, Im lookin for headers down pipe all the way to the end. Any and all help is greatly apreciated.

I got the glasspack and most of my piping from my local parts store, all 2.5". With the header good luck, I haven't been able to find one for this motor, maybe i'm just not looking hard enough.

Back