• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

exhaust poll ---> u must participate

reddired

Veteran CEG'er
i ran my SE with no res & a magnaflo muff and it had good sound but kinda quiet so i cut the muff off and had great sound but raspy.
I want to mimic the no muff sound without the rasp so:

pick -A- or -B-
1998 2.5 SE single exhaust.

A. hi flow resonator (magnaflow) with no muffler.

B. cut out cat and still run magnaflow muff..

:help:

oh, stock exhaust for the SE is 2.25" OD................right?

B. If those are the only choices.

You might also consider running a muffler in place of the resonator and then just one long tail pipe. I'm not sure it has been done before...:confused:

This is what you do, get a mag in place of your stock resonator. Drive it around, if it is too quiet cut off the muffler and leave it like that for a bit. If you like it that way place a pipe at the end and your all set. If you hate the muffler being off place it back on and clam it down.

I can vouch for option A from experience. I'm running just a Magnaflow resonator and no mufflers on a dual outlet 2 1/4 exhaust. With the stock exhaust manifolds and y-pipe, it sounded awesome with minimal rasp (pretty much only when it was cold) and I got many compliments on the way it sounded. With MSDS headers and a BAT Y-pipe/Magnaflow cat it sounds really raspy ( + broken leaky pipe on the cat-back before the resonator FTL... :blackeye: )

Back