• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

sparks in exhausts

BAD SVT

Addicted CEG'er
hey guys. i've got a quick question. I've had two different ppl tell me this. but i never paid em any attention. i was messin' around a while ago with another car;). all he saw were my tailpipes.;) anyway, i digress... he caught up with me at the next light and said i had sparks going off in my exhausts. i chucked it up to just foolish games. however, i had someone else tell me the same thing after a couple of runs. anyone know what causes that? if it was running rich, wouldnt the fuel have burned off after the headers? does backpressure cause it?

it wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that my exhaust pipes are only 2.25" and i've got a cheapo cat, would it?

I don't believe so. I think it would just be unburn fuel. a friends n/a svt does the same thing at night ....

I saw a huge fireball blow out at me from a turbo cavalier. I was going to post about this and wonder if it could be done in a N/A but it seems to only happen in FI. I thought you were going to put spark plugs in your exhaust.:nonono:

BrApple: What are the mods on your friends SVT? I thought I would throw flames since Im straight piped except to mufflers out back. Ive never seem it on N/A

I saw a huge fireball blow out at me from a turbo cavalier. I was going to post about this and wonder if it could be done in a N/A but it seems to only happen in FI. I thought you were going to put spark plugs in your exhaust.:nonono:

BrApple: What are the mods on your friends SVT? I thought I would throw flames since Im straight piped except to mufflers out back. Ive never seem it on N/A

aircougars svt has an intake, msds vortex spec headers, lightened flywheel, trubendz exhaust, believe its a borla muffler with magnaflow resonators, not sure if it has a cat or not, maybe a high flow one. don't recall the y-pipe also ... this is according to a friend that drives the same route from from work that he does.

only time I have seen sparks in an exhaust was when tricker smoked his motor on the dyno at SZ. Flames many times.

I would probably say it is burnt up CAT material....

hey guys. i've got a quick question. I've had two different ppl tell me this. but i never paid em any attention. i was messin' around a while ago with another car;). all he saw were my tailpipes.;) anyway, i digress... he caught up with me at the next light and said i had sparks going off in my exhausts. i chucked it up to just foolish games. however, i had someone else tell me the same thing after a couple of runs. anyone know what causes that? if it was running rich, wouldnt the fuel have burned off after the headers? does backpressure cause it?

This would occur when unburnt fuel leaves the exhaust and since the turbo exhaust end is soo hot it starts to burn the fuel on it's on while traveling down the exhaust tubes.

It happens quit often with turbo cars. Rx7's with turbo's have been famous for doing this soo easily.

No worries, but it will eat up your cat material like no tomorrow :blackeye:.

This should be addressed when you have time by aka a tune :)

Now post some pics of the spark plug in your tailpipe that is lighting up your tail pipes :laugh:

so whats the verdict? Unburnt fuel? So if you ran rich this would happen more? I run lean and I hear pops when downshifting.

blowing fire out the exhaust is a....good thing?

i have no emissions on my car, and a 2.5" exhaust, with one small muffler. it throws flame at night.

when i had nitrous, it would shoot two foot flames out of the exhaust when i got off the button, as it burned up the rest of the fuel. i wouldnt call it good, but it definately sounds cool lol

I've had people tell me at school that my car shoots a little fire at night every once in a while out of my 2.0, but i'm running no cat and a straight pipe

This would occur when unburnt fuel leaves the exhaust and since the turbo exhaust end is soo hot it starts to burn the fuel on it's on while traveling down the exhaust tubes.

It happens quit often with turbo cars. Rx7's with turbo's have been famous for doing this soo easily.

No worries, but it will eat up your cat material like no tomorrow :blackeye:.

This should be addressed when you have time by aka a tune :)

Now post some pics of the spark plug in your tailpipe that is lighting up your tail pipes :laugh:

My cat melted into a solid POS while dialing in the first tune on the dyno. Then my whole exhaust system ,headers all the way back turned bright red and burned off the "ceramic" coating from the MSDS headers :laugh: :eek:

My cat melted into a solid POS while dialing in the first tune on the dyno. Then my whole exhaust system ,headers all the way back turned bright red and burned off the "ceramic" coating from the MSDS headers :laugh: :eek:

Pictures of that would have been sweet. I use to love seeing the comercial where it showed the exhaust side of the turbo red hot while running.

Coming back from Aircougar on the Highway RIGHT after Mo did his clutch swap. Sherif, Mo, some guy in a M3 and I were all going at it. My buddies said My exhaust was back firing a lot. They even got a video of it.....

I have a 3L Untuned, MSDS, Stock Y, Bassani Cat Back. I was pushing the car REALLY HARD too!

- amyn

Coming back from Aircougar on the Highway RIGHT after Mo did his clutch swap. Sherif, Mo, some guy in a M3 and I were all going at it. My buddies said My exhaust was back firing a lot. They even got a video of it.....

I have a 3L Untuned, MSDS, Stock Y, Bassani Cat Back. I was pushing the car REALLY HARD too!

- amyn

post the vid! i have never seen a contour do it but i would not be suprized if a lot of our cars did and we just didn't know.

Back