• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

SVT Exhaust Question

steeno321

CEG'er
So I was wondering if anyone has removed the 2 rear mufflers on an SVT before and just ran the resonator. Trying to get an idea on how it would sound. Also I do have a gutted precat don't know how much of a difference that will make.

I would recommend that you REPLACE the resonator with an aftermarket resonator/muffler and either run another resonator/muffler (same) adjacent to it and cut the mufflers and replace with straight pipes, OR replace the resonator with an aftermarket resonator/muffler and replace the stock mufflers with aftermarket ones. It is imperative to replace the stock resonator as it bottlenecks the exhaust at 2" :mad:

Ian, why so mad, your exhaust doesn't have a resonator anyway ...

bad morning :shrug: :laugh:

Yes replace the stock resonator with an aftermarket one. Do not just rip off the mufflers, the rear mufflers flow decent as it. They are not the restrictive point on the exhaust.

Ian, why so mad, your exhaust doesn't have a resonator anyway ...
My exhaust also STARTS at 2". I'm just giving an angry face in general because of Ford making such a stupid decision in not making a different resonator for the SVT :blackeye:

yes I am going to replace the resonator with the magnaflow piece.

Technically the flow would be from my manifolds into the ypipe thru the cat thru the magnaflow http://www.justmagnaflow.com/cgi-bin/shopper.exe?preadd=action&key=CARS10435 into straight pipes and out the back.

Ummm your going backwards. Keep the rear mufflers, get a high flow y-pipe and just replace the resonator.

call it a day. Then when you can buy headers. That will open up the car plenty.

I don't know if your exactly taking this in. But the rear mufflers flow fine and plenty. NO NEED TO REMOVE THEM!!! Your car will sound like crap.

harry,just let the man do what he's going to do. he's obv. not really interested in getting help,just telling us what he is GOING to do:shrug:
it'll sound like :censored::censored::censored::censored: to anyone out of their teenage years. it wouldn't sound bad if the precats were still intact. like harry says,leave the stock mufflers,they have been proven to flow plenty for a svt. the ypipe should be the first thing to go,than the resonator,than the precats,than finally the rear mufflers.

I was just wondering if anyone has ever done it before. Not the fact that I'm telling you what I'm going to do. Just wanted some feedback on how it would sound.

i'd go with what everyone else suggested (thats what i did). Bought a magnaflow resonator (part # 10435) and put that in place of the stock resonator. Sound is great, ups the stock volume just a smidge and adds a little growl and grumble to inbetween gears and at low rpms. Get it a SUMMIT, it was 69.00 and they ship fast. I paid 60.00 to get it welded on; compliments the stock sound.

Back