• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

P0420 and emmission testing

bobbo

CEG'er
Hi all. I got a lovely P0420 (I have my scanner in the glove box 24/7) last night driving home. Haven't had one of those in about 6 months (was thinking my CEL bulb blew, haha).

Few question for y'all (especially the last one.. haven't seen anything related to that)

a) what should I do, run some Seafoam (gas/injectors) and unplug the battery for a while to start with?
b) If I need to do something to my exhaust, what should I put on it? What will it cost?
c) If I put on MIL eliminators (or whatever they are that ignores the missing O2 sensor), will I still pass emissions testing in New York (OBD-II testing and visual inspection)?

well it could be a real code or a fake code, ie the limits where set to tight so it trips when it shouldn't

as for your specific state inspection you would ahve to find out. but in CT I passed with mil eliminators installed. but remember you have to have working lower O2 sensors as the mil eliminators only prevent the P0420 and P0430 codes.

as for work done, if the cat is really done then its going to cost big money for a new replacement.

For an OEM bolt in type sure. But you can get a better performing high flow weld in for relatively cheap.

facepalm.gif

the main cat is not monitored so it can not set a cel for a P0420 or P0430. those codes are realted to the pre cats and they run about 6~900 each, plus labor. otherwise you could find a used set but could end up back in the same spot sooner.

He can find them relativly cheap through the classifieds. I sold my 48k mile set for 60 dollars :shrug:

I think stazi has a set sitting around. Heck ob1 probably has a set also. Try him:shrug:

Before you go throwing out the cash for a new set. Put a

WTB--Stock v6 manifolds

In your signature, someone will pm you trying to get rid of a set. :)

Back