• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Muffler

tycontour0514

CEG'er
I just put on a new aftermarket muffler on my contour se. It wasn't that loud. is there anyway to make it louder. I heard if you know out the guts of the catalsis but could i pass inspection if i did that.

I was going to Replace it but us clamps and a striaght pipe. will it make a differnece because i heard that you need to weld it. is that true because i was going to do it my self by clamping it.

Are you wanting it just to be loud? Or do you want it to sound good too? If you want both, removing the resonator is not the way to go imho. So many people remove the resonator and are unhappy with how it sounds because its so raspy and they just end up replacing the straight pipe with a straight through resonator from magnaflow. Personally, this is the route I would go. You probably could get a magnaflow resonator and it welded up for about $150.

BTW, I have to ask...what brand muffler did you put on your car?

You probably could get a magnaflow resonator and it welded up for about $150.

More like 60 dollars shipped to your door and 30-50 dollars to install it. I say about 110 max to install one.

If you are going to install a pipe atleast get a cheap cherry bomb or glasspack. Please

I want to to sound good to with some noise. I am probly going to get a glasspack. do you have to weld the glass pack or can you clamp it.

You can clamp or weld anything. Welding is the way to go, but Clamping will work. You don't want to call anywhere to get prices, I recommend just going to the shop and talking to one of the guys in the back. They usually can squeeze you in between jobs and do it for cheap. Again, you can clamp ANYTHING post cat.

Just look up a muffler shop. Not a shop that also does exhaust.

Make sure it says muffler.... in the store title.

Back