• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

stock svt exhaust.

dose it? well the exhaust doesn't, but the resonator does.
The svt muffler is kinda more like a super turbo, it has internal passages.
Stock resonator (all models) is just 2" I.D and multi-baffled. In other words a piece of sh~t!!! Replacing the stock resonator gains most of the power of a cat back system. (on a moderately modded setup!)

If I had to rank the exhaust restriction it would be:
Stock resonator
Crush Y-pipe (virtual tie for 1st)
Stock exhaust
Pre-cat manifolds
SVT mufflers
stock piping (2" O.D.)
SVT single piping (2.25" O.D.)

Stock resonator (all models) is just 2" I.D and multi-baffled. In other words a piece of sh~t!!! Replacing the stock resonator gains most of the power of a cat back system. (on a moderately modded setup!)

If I had to rank the exhaust restriction it would be:
Stock resonator
Crush Y-pipe (virtual tie for 1st)
Stock exhaust
Pre-cat manifolds
SVT mufflers
stock piping (2" O.D.)
SVT single piping (2.25" O.D.)

Wow, I had no idea the stock res was such a wretched little bastard! I've had a Magnaflow res in my garage for like 3 months now. So I ask of you:

1. If I were to install it, along with a Magnaflow hi-flo cat and two straight-through N1-style mufflers (real ones, not the cheap-ass $25 look-alikes on eBay), would that boost my HP any?

2. Would the fact that I have a K&N intake and an XCal2 change anything? Would these factors compound the performance gains?

3. I've ben wondering about getting a set of headers, but the Weapon R headers are no longer made, and someone said that the MSDS headers are actually slightly more restrictive than stock. :0 Any suggestions here?

Wow, I had no idea the stock res was such a wretched little bastard! I've had a Magnaflow res in my garage for like 3 months now. So I ask of you:

1. If I were to install it, along with a Magnaflow hi-flo cat and two straight-through N1-style mufflers (real ones, not the cheap-ass $25 look-alikes on eBay), would that boost my HP any?

2. Would the fact that I have a K&N intake and an XCal2 change anything? Would these factors compound the performance gains?

3. I've ben wondering about getting a set of headers, but the Weapon R headers are no longer made, and someone said that the MSDS headers are actually slightly more restrictive than stock. :0 Any suggestions here?

1.) Yes you're going to pick up some HP, mostly from the Magnaflow res though... The stock main cat and rear mufflers aren't as restrictive as some other parts of the exhaust, see Demon's post about order of restrictions...

2.) Yes, those will help too. The intake will help it get more air in and if tuned properly you will get more gains from the exhaust mods.

3.) Whoever said MSDS headers are more restrictive than stock is in idiot. MSDS headers were the original design that WR copied (hence why they are no longer in production) and are a much better design than stock. Expect ~10whp gains from the MSDS headers throughout the entire powerband...

What do most people on here replace their resonators with? Ive been reading mostly magnaflow/glasspack, any opinions on those?

and anyone have part numbers or links to where to buy those?

What do most people on here replace their resonators with? Ive been reading mostly magnaflow/glasspack, any opinions on those?

and anyone have part numbers or links to where to buy those?

The infamous MagnaFlow resonator that everyone loves is part #10435 at http://www.justmagnaflow.com/

See here:
http://www.justmagnaflow.com/cgi-bin/shopper.exe?preadd=action&key=CARS10435

Some people have glasspacks here. I was under the impression that glasspacks are loud, raspy things intended mainly for old-school V8 dragsters and such. Does anyone know how they sound on an SVT?

The infamous MagnaFlow resonator that everyone loves is part #10435 at http://www.justmagnaflow.com/

See here:
http://www.justmagnaflow.com/cgi-bin/shopper.exe?preadd=action&key=CARS10435

Some people have glasspacks here. I was under the impression that glasspacks are loud, raspy things intended mainly for old-school V8 dragsters and such. Does anyone know how they sound on an SVT?

here is a clip of a glasspack, it sounds good, not sure if the rest of it is stock though because the tips are different.
http://s188.photobucket.com/albums/z319/X_XPROMETHEUSX_X/?action=view&current=0baf79b5.flv

ive been looking all over for a soundclip of a stock svt exhaust with the magnaflow resonator. anyone have one???

Isn't there one in the sticky above? There are tons of sound clips at the bottom of the sticky:shrug:

Isn't there one in the sticky above? There are tons of sound clips at the bottom of the sticky:shrug:

There are no sound clips of an SVT exhaust with magnaflow instead of the stock resonator in the sticky.

Last edited:
Wow, glasspacks make some nice deep sound.

I still want to hear the sound of a magnaflow res.

Same here i cant believe there arent any clips floating around, the magnaflow res is talked about all the time, everyone seems to love it and its even referred to the "infamous magnaflow resonator" yet theres not one soundclip?

The second vid, the one with just the res removed and no Magnaflow in its place sounded terrible... I wasn't really sure what "rasp" meant, but now I have a clear idea and I hate it. It's like fingernails on a chalkboard.

Would that horrid rasp noise be gone if there were a Magnaflow res in place of the stock res (instead of simply sticking a piece of straight pipe in there)?

Back