• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

OBD1 and Mil Eliminators

blu_fuz

New Member Classroom vulture
Being OBD1 I don't have any lower 02 sensors. With the headers I am installing, do I need to worry about having MILs or not.....

Being OBD1 I don't have any lower 02 sensors. With the headers I am installing, do I need to worry about having MILs or not.....

You will still have a lower o2 though.Look for it after your y-pipe. so you will still need a mil. :)

My car only has (2) 02 sensors, one in each manifold, that's it :shrug: There is nothing in the y pipe, and nothing in my test pipe cat. So which would be the "lower" sensor and if I have one, and do I only need one mil?

the OBD-II would have two sets. (one upper on each bank, one lower on each bank)

OBD-I would have ONE set of O2's... (one upper/forward and one lower/rear), right?

I will take a pic of my stock manifolds tonight to see what I come up with but these are the pics I have now.....
One 02 sensor on the rear at the top of the manifold:
newpics131.jpg

newpics154.jpg

And one bug high up on the front header from MSDS. I told msds that this set of headers will be on a '95 tour also:
newpics166.jpg

Here is someone elses pic of thier headers next to a 2.5L manifold, but they don't specify year it came out of:
headers1.jpg

Hey Blu.....you WILL NOT need MIL eliminators.....despite what was said in the earlier post. Your car only has the one O2 sensor per bank (as seen on your nice looking headers) and they do not have the ability to test for cat function. They just look for lean or rich conditions. The aftermarket Y pipes I've seen all have a bung for the rear, but on 95's you just put in a plug as there is nothing from your car to plug into it. I've looked at enough 95 wiring harnesses to know this.

The picture above is of an OBDII set.

On my 2.5 SVT motor (that I previously had in my 95) I just clipped the wires off the front lower O2 and left it in as a plug. When I got the MSDS headers for the 3L I had the front unit made without the extra hole like you did.

Back