• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Public Poll ---What type of exhaust system do you have?

no resonator is the best resonator. idel 3. accelerating 4.5 5. wot 6

no resonator is the best resonator. idel 3. accelerating 4.5 5. wot 6

don't some of you guys think a removed resonator sounds like crap and a bit raspy?? i don't like it, but i do want to replace mine with an aftermarket one...just not sure which one to go with.

not raspy at all does not sound bad at all just slightly louder. ive only went up to 65 and no drone at all. if you want sound go with the super 40 flowmaster if you want flow go magnaflow

not raspy at all does not sound bad at all just slightly louder. ive only went up to 65 and no drone at all. if you want sound go with the super 40 flowmaster if you want flow go magnaflow

ok i was just wondering because i haven't done anything with the resonator on either of the SVT's i've owned. thanks man

Exhaust type: 2.5" catback to rear y split to quasi duals, then 2.25" to muffler
Manifolds/headers: MSDS (anyone see any SHM long tube headers for sale??) (lots of loud)
Y pipe: Sho-shop y pipe (similar to BAT y pipe)
Main cat: 2 into 1 high flow, single 2.5" outlet
resonator: Magnaflow 12256, 5x8x18 (lots of flow, not too loud)
mufflers: Dynomax Turbo IIs w/ stock tips (lots of flow, not too loud, externally looks stock)

Volume: 3.2, not obscene, only a hair suspiciously louder than stock, yet can tell indoors which car started outdoors.
If I craved attention, I could have added fart cans and a wing.
Intake: Open cone filter, adds a chorus above 5500 rpm

don't some of you guys think a removed resonator sounds like crap and a bit raspy?? i don't like it, but i do want to replace mine with an aftermarket one...just not sure which one to go with.

It does but on some vehicles with certain pcms. They tend to have less rasp due to the stock tuning. For others, (like me) we don't have that luxury. Replace the resonator with 21/22" resonator and it will be fine. The longer the better when tackling rasp/drone :)

Exhaust- greddy catback

Header- m2 performance 4-1

2.25 straight piping custom bent

no cat, no resonator.

Loudness 10. lots of popping =)

Gutted precats, optimized y-pipe, stainless flex pipe, removed cat/resonator with 2.5" in its place going to stock svt Y and mufflers.

Sounds meh. way to raspy, sounds alot like a rotary/ tin can but no drone at all. Ill be getting some magnaflow mufflers and most likely a 21" magnaflow resonator to solve the problem soon.
Loudness - 6 overall 8 when i put it down... could be worse, can barely hear it at all on the highway at 70mph.
and for some reason at idle it sounds amazing with a nice low tone lol

Full 3L

Exhaust type-- Stock Catback
Manifolds/Headers-- MSDS Headers
Y-pipe-- BAT
Main Cat-- Magnaflow, came with BAT Y
Resonator-- Stock
Mufflers--Stock

Volume#--3

This is slightly louder than stock with some rasp at wot.

full 3L

Exhaust type-- 2.5 inch custom bend
Manifolds/Headers-- MSDS Headers
Y-pipe-- optimized
Main Cat-- stock cat
Resonator-- none
Mufflers-- 9X14 oval Magnaflow

8-9 loudness. LOUD AT WOT! sexy sounding. doesnt drone at all. sometimes hard to hear when music on but loud at wot

2.5L SE

Exhaust type -- slightly modified SVT
Manifolds/Headers -- stock
Y-pipe -- stock
Main Cat -- stock
Resonator -- Thrush Glasspack from Advance Auto
Mufflers -- none

Loudness -- 6 normal. 8 WOT. Very little to no drone. Only loud when you're on the fun pedal! Nice, gutsy sound. Not much rasp. Only when really cold and maybe top end.

Portmatched 3l

Exhaust type -- stock
Manifolds/Headers -- stock
Y-pipe -- sho shop catless
Main Cat -- none
Resonator -- none
Mufflers -- 4 inch bosal

Loudness -- 8 loud at wot. not to bad when regular driving

finally CEG is back and i can post this

Stock Zetec

Exhaust type--------2.5" cat back
Manifolds/Headers-stock
y-pipe---------------None(4cyl)
Main cat------------Stock
Resonator----------Thrush glasspack
Muffler--------------None

So I have a standard-ish 1997 Mondeo ST24 V6. The exhaust setup is as follows:

Headers: Stainless steel de-cat headers and Y-pipe built by Toyosports
Cats: none; not required here
Tube: Mandrel bent 2.5 inch mild steel, 1/8th wall thickness, then drops down to 2 inch about 1.5 feet from the end of the system
Mufflers: Coby free flow in the centre, Coby free flow on the end with a 3 inch tip welded on the end. Also have another rear section with a standard generic muffler to keep it quiet, at the cost of a few HP, with the same 3 inch tip welded on.

Noise level: With standard generic muffler: 93dB, under the legal limit of 97dB
With Coby free flow: 98dB approx, slightly over the legal limit
With no rear section: 106dB and illegal full stop...

Portmatched 3l

Exhaust type -- stock
Manifolds/Headers -- MSDS
Y-pipe -- Stock
Main Cat -- Stock
Resonator -- Stock
Mufflers -- 40 Series Flowmaster

Loudness -- 7 loud at wot. not to bad when regular driving, Once I delete the factory Resonator I Imagine it will go up in Loudness but dont expect it to by much

stock precats
stock ypipe
removed main cat/pipe
stock resonator
ss magnaflow mufflers w/4" tips
loudness...its not, maybe 1 notch louder than stock. plan on removing the stock resonator soon to give it a bit more growl.

Back