• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

3L exhaust manifolds

SicSE

Veteran CEG'er
Has anyone swapped 3L exhaust manis to their 2.5L? They are a MUCH better design than our mani-cats, and would be by far the cheapest alternative. I know that they merge and end up in different spots than the mani-cats, but that's easily remedied, and the differing EGR location is also not a problem for me. So if someone can assure me that the 3L exhaust manifolds will bolt up to the 2.5L heads, I'm going to get a set & dig in for some more serious exhaust work.

Has anyone swapped 3L exhaust manis to their 2.5L? They are a MUCH better design than our mani-cats, and would be by far the cheapest alternative. I know that they merge and end up in different spots than the mani-cats, but that's easily remedied, and the differing EGR location is also not a problem for me. So if someone can assure me that the 3L exhaust manifolds will bolt up to the 2.5L heads, I'm going to get a set & dig in for some more serious exhaust work.

Yes they will bolt up, but like you pointed out the route is slightly different and egr needs to be extended.

WHy not just spend 200 and get a set of msds headers?:shrug:

WHy not just spend 200 and get a set of msds headers?:shrug:
Well, they're listed @ $250 on nautilusperformance.com and if I get them, it's worth the $35 to me, to buy the coating, (yes, I've read about yours and others' bad experiences with the coating but I would still probably buy it), and after shipping, we're talking $310. Whereas, I could get the 3L manifolds for $30 from Pull-A-Part... and that's if I can't find a free pair lying around the shop.

Ultimately, if we're talking $300, I'd rather put it toward fabbing up a set of long-tubes, or even some suspension upgrading, (the SVT suspension just doesn't cut it). Whereas I can justify spending $30 on just about anything. :cool:

Well, they're listed @ $250 on nautilusperformance.com and if I get them, it's worth the $35 to me, to buy the coating, (yes, I've read about yours and others' bad experiences with the coating but I would still probably buy it), and after shipping, we're talking $310. Whereas, I could get the 3L manifolds for $30 from Pull-A-Part... and that's if I can't find a free pair lying around the shop.

Ultimately, if we're talking $300, I'd rather put it toward fabbing up a set of long-tubes, or even some suspension upgrading, (the SVT suspension just doesn't cut it). Whereas I can justify spending $30 on just about anything. :cool:

Well, you got me there :)

Pretty sure they don't fit. As far as clearance goes.

Right, but he was refering to the bolt patterns, which i assumed he wanted. Because you mentioned that he was going to do a custom exhaust for them to work right :cool:

My question, why not get 2.5L manifolds, cut off the cat material reweld new pipes to the stock flanged ends. That way everything will reconnect properly and the egr is already in the right spot. You already own them. PLus you won't be needing to spend 5-8 hours taking them off and putting the 3L manifolds back on :shrug:

That way you won't have any problems. :)

My question, why not get 2.5L manifolds, cut off the cat material reweld new pipes to the stock flanged ends. That way everything will reconnect properly and the egr is already in the right spot. You already own them. PLus you won't be needing to spend 5-8 hours taking them off and putting the 3L manifolds back on
That's actually an option I was thinking about. It's gonna depend on whether or not I can find either set at the shop. If not, it will be easier for now to just drop the $30 & do the fab work with just the two secondary pipes instead of the 6 primaries. It looks like there wouldn't be any clearance issues with the earlier Taurus 3L manifolds, (below)... or am I missing something? And as a side note, an exhaust manifold swap is 2 hours for me. :cool:
3LexhaustmaniR.gif
3LexhaustmaniL.gif

That's actually an option I was thinking about. It's gonna depend on whether or not I can find either set at the shop. If not, it will be easier for now to just drop the $30 & do the fab work with just the two secondary pipes instead of the 6 primaries. It looks like there wouldn't be any clearance issues with the earlier Taurus 3L manifolds, (below)... or am I missing something? And as a side note, an exhaust manifold swap is 2 hours for me. :cool:
AA0774A.gif

AA0775A.gif

Pictures don't work,

Here is a comparison 2.5L with the 2.5l header.
headers1.jpg

Damn, I get excited every time I see a header picture but I honestly dont want to mess with them until the engine needs to come out.

The pictures are working now. It looks like they will work. Maybe this can be a new alternative. How would you route the y-pipe? Would you do it the same way it is now? or go under the oil pan like other exhaust y-pipes do?

If you get a set of 3L post some pics up when you have a chance. :)

I'd route it the same way it is stock - the pan is just too low IMO.

Pics to come. :cool:

Great!! Remember the longtube headers made for our cars go under the oilpan.

Just an option but yes pictures would be great :)

SHM3.jpg

Why does your header have two bungs and mine(right) only has one. Is it because mine are for a '95 and I don't have a lower 02 sensor?
MINE:
newpics166.jpg

YOURS:
Here is a comparison 2.5L with the 2.5l header.
headers1.jpg

2005 3L MANIFOLDS:
newpics119.jpg

I'm guessing mil elims would have to be installed on those lower 2 o2 sensors (on the msds) with no precats to prevent CEL??

Back