• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

exhaust too quiet

No offense, you are contradicting yourself. Buy a test pipe but its a :nonono: to gut them?

Even if he did gut the main one, he would still pass emissions. We have 2 pre cats on our cars that do wonders for emissions already.

well i dont know what state hes from but in VA where im from just the precats would not help, you would have to have all three. So it would be alittle easier and safer if he bought a y pipe with a removable section and placed the test pipe in there for normal driving then when emission testing came all he has to do is replace it with the high flow cat. To me and knowing how strict some states are i wouldnt even want to test the system. so from that stand point it might cost alittle more now but it might save you alot more later. just my opinion.

seriously...i live in redneck area. they probably straight pipe their own cats. actualy i know a few who do. i really dont think its gonna be an issue. and besides this is just temporary. i plan on getting a y pipe in the future...maybe even before inspection. i think im gonna straight pipe it tomorrrow and then junk the cat because its gonna be useless afterwards anyway. my car is a working progress anyway so if i dont like how it sounds or sumthin i'll just deal with it later.

my problem is i wanna do this tomorrow so its ready for carlisle saturday. is there gonna be any problems with this job that you think i should know about? my car isnt here right now but it will be in an hour and i can figure this stuff out myself then but you might beable to save me time and money by making me aware of a possible issue. thanx for your help guys.

well i dont know what state hes from but in VA where im from just the precats would not help, you would have to have all three.

So it would be alittle easier and safer if he bought a y pipe with a removable section and placed the test pipe in there for normal driving then when emission testing came all he has to do is replace it with the high flow cat.

The precats certainly help, but a functional main cat will still pass emissions if its warmed up and the car is in decent shape. I've seen some junkers pass with flying colors from way before precats became standard equipment. Of course I've also seen Foxbody Mustangs pass without a cat just by getting the engine fully warmed up and pulled straight into the bay for testing so who knows.

Thats how a lot of people do it actually but I personally wont risk running a test pipe on the street just because of the fine if and when you do get caught. Sure the chances of that happening are far and few between but here in Texas they can impound your car and fine you pretty heavily for that extra sound and 5hp.

Back