• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

longest resonator?

S2Knott

Hard-core CEG'er
just put on resonated flowmasters on and im just wondering what the biggest resonator is that i can fit ive been looking at like 28-32" but im not sure if thats too long.

The longer the more quiet it will be. I don't know if I'd go longer than 18"-24". Don't think anything over 2' total length will fit.

The longer the more quiet it will be. I don't know if I'd go longer than 18"-24". Don't think anything over 2' total length will fit.

Todd is right here, The tubing has soo many seperations/bends in it, there is just not enough room to put something that big in it.

should've measured while it was off,take it to a shop and have them look. he's going to need the longest he can get. its a stock svt catback flowmaster 40's on the ends,no resonator anddddddddd he's running headers. its raspy,and i'm sure it drones like a mofo.

should've measured while it was off,take it to a shop and have them look. he's going to need the longest he can get. its a stock svt catback flowmaster 40's on the ends,no resonator anddddddddd he's running headers. its raspy,and i'm sure it drones like a mofo.

Rasp is cured by using cats. or baffled mufflers, or internal twin split pipping mesh screened mufflers.

yea it is raspy and all hell, and i want to be able to add a y pipe soon but if i do Wu tang will come out my exhaust, killer bees on the swarm!

its already raspy, and its almost embarassing but i actually like it becuase im not going over 3k and its saving me gas!.

now what is this twin split piping thing? is it like twin loop?

now what is this twin split piping thing? is it like twin loop?
S170thumb.jpg

248_stealth.jpg

http://www.aeroexhaust.com/true_dual_muffler_248.html
You'll have to be creative where you put them though - they're big as hell!

S170thumb.jpg

248_stealth.jpg

http://www.aeroexhaust.com/true_dual_muffler_248.html
You'll have to be creative where you put them though - they're big as hell!

Thank you.

Edelbrock had a set that where smaller than our stock resonator. I have 2 on my car and it is soo quiet. They stop making them and i bought the last 2 :)

Now those pictured above are larger and alittle more on the expensive side.

I do know another company makes them. Give me a bit to find them again.

I do know another company makes them. Give me a bit to find them again.
Dude, please do! I did the inner Y Aero mid-tank and it is too loud. I'm going to merge the two exits into a turn-down but I think it'll still be too loud for me - I'm looking for quiet. The inner split pipe is where it's at but I don't want to drop another $120, plus fitment would be a b!tch.

Dude, please do! I did the inner Y Aero mid-tank and it is too loud. I'm going to merge the two exits into a turn-down but I think it'll still be too loud for me - I'm looking for quiet. The inner split pipe is where it's at but I don't want to drop another $120, plus fitment would be a b!tch.

Why not go with a borla muffler? WikedPete's sells them for $65. Which are a great price, with a unique sound and they are quiet!!

They were my next buy if i didn't find my edelbrock rpm series which cost me 100 shipped for both.

I can't remember the 2 1/4 inch rpm series, i would think some company has a few sitting on their shelves they might be selling, like jegs, summit etc.
I'll get the part number tonight, IIRC it was 5301??

I keep thinking that the other brand was hooker/holley who was selling that style, but when they got nothing.

Why not go with a borla muffler?
I need to be able to see the internal design that I'm buying... a little hang-up of mine with mufflers. And I'm not up for spending what they want for an XR-1, which is the only one they show the internal design on.

I need to be able to see the internal design that I'm buying... a little hang-up of mine with mufflers. And I'm not up for spending what they want for an XR-1, which is the only one they show the internal design on.
hmm i understand where you are coming from. What do you care about most though cfm flow, decible or just design?

To help me understand, what type of internal design do you want?

Chamber/baffel
or
straight pipe with fiber dampening material?

I know at some performance shops they have the mufflers they carry on display allowing the people to see what they look like inside. The shop around me shut down, due to the internet.

IF you ave one near by, that would help you with some insight on the internal patterns that are out there.

Flow is the main thing, but sound level is not far behind. I want it as quiet as possible while being as free-flowing as possible.

Flow is the main thing, but sound level is not far behind. I want it as quiet as possible while being as free-flowing as possible.
Hmm thats what everyone wants. Its what keeps muffler companies still competing :)

Do you have a stock se exhaust? svt exhaust?

This is a borla internal image. I think this is best for you.
xr1_turboxl_diagram.gif

Since your car which you posted shows a 177hp numbers at the wheels which is amazing, you are looking at 210hp give or take at the motor.

You need an exhaust that flows almost 460 cfm capacity, anything more or less unbalances the exhaust flow. Take it as you like, in that range, you are looking at Edelbrock 5501 492 cfm 2.25" or Flowmaster 42440 483 cfms.

This was done with a 2.25 inch muffler.

You and i know from prior discussions that too large and too small of exhausts tubes, changes your power in the rpm range. The point of understanding cfm flow is to place the most proper balance on each car to maximize hp and tq. :)
Just placing it out there for others to read. I realize your alittle more on the knowing side then most, so don't be offended.

Custom exhaust from gutted precats, 2" y-pipe merging to 2.5" single exhaust, one cat in similar-to-stock location, with a 32" res immediately after & muffler in back. That inner-Y design above looks like it would definitely be quieter than the Aero one. Thanks, I'll look into it. :cool:

Back