• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Is side exhaust legal?

dyaballikl

CEG'er
I'm seriously considering eliminating a few of those bends past the resonator by cutting off the exhaust right after the first bend and piping it straight out the side, then angling it down at the end. I've already done the cut off your muffler "mod," so I wouldn't be losing anything, but I have to first figure out if it's legal.

I have a helluva a time finding info about it, just millions of ads. I've looked in the Washington State law book, but can't seem to find anything about it. Anybody got any insight on this issue?

As far as I know, you just need a muffler. And for exhaust fumes, it has to be routed out from under the car. The SVT lightning was manufactured with a side exhaust, and it was a manufactured truck.

I'd say you're in the clear!

The 97-98ish F150s had exhaust out the side in front of the tire from the factory. You still technically need a muffler though (at least you would here, I'm not sure what your laws are like).

pickups are a different animal entirely. The exhaust must exit behind the cab on a truck (in most states). For a car it usually must be behind the passenger compartment...doing it in front of the rear wheel would get you a ticket in NH or Maine...not sure about your state. Best bet is to stoll down to the local inspection station and ask. All in all though, what will you gain? Not much.

in some states it is illegal to modify the exhaust at all. Replacing it with something different is fine as long as it resembles the stock system. Not like that stops anyone from modding their exhaust. You might however get some extra attention from the cops, epecially if its loud too.

I've been considering this if I ever get some funds together aside from fixing and upgrading other shtuff. I was thinking of some how doing dual side exhaust out the rear jack point covers and fabricating something to go around the ze piping so it doesnt melt the skirt.

I'm pretty sure here in PA, if the car came factory a certain way, it has to remain that way. So basically if one car came with side exit exhaust it's legal, but if you take a rear exit car and make it exit out the side, it's not legal.

What about the cars that come from the factory without mufflers? I'm pretty sure you just have to be able to pass a decibel test in the event you get pulled over for excessive noise.

My exhaust screams and i've had no issues. :shrug:

Don't do side exit, the laws are all over the place. I've talked to cops around here and half told me its illegal and half told me it isn't. Stick to regular exhaust.

Like others have said. Its legal in some places, in other places its not legal.

A handful of contour owners have done this mod. It kinda looks ghetto.

Also the f-150's stopped making the side exit exhaust due to the exhaust flowing over the rear wheel. Making it oxidize and turn from silver to yellow.

That is why the following year it was behind the wheel.
The same thing could happen to your wheels if they are aluminum.

You will not see much of anything in power wise from doing this. IT will sound louder if thats what you are going for. If it is for looks, then IMHO it won't look good. Only from prior owners doing it, it never looked right on our cars.

just off hand, i know the new dodge vipers come with side exhaust, not sure about any other new cars. i think i'm going to do that. in washington state, it's illegal to modify motorcycle exhaust, but not car exhaust. it just has to pass emissions and the decibel test. mine's not crazy loud, it just sounds a bit more natural. i think i'll wait till the heat dies down a bit today and try this out. thank for all the input, guys!

My old GT with Roush kit:

Picture256.jpg

Picture210.jpg

Anyways, It's LEGAL.

If anything I would do a split behind the rear suspension and then go side exit after the wheels.

I've been considering this if I ever get some funds together aside from fixing and upgrading other shtuff. I was thinking of some how doing dual side exhaust out the rear jack point covers and fabricating something to go around the ze piping so it doesnt melt the skirt.

i was going to do the exact thing last summer but i went to have it quoted by a well known muscle car exhuast guy here and it wanted 2000 to do it. it wouldnt be hard if you have a pipe bender though. i dont.

I know of a current CSVT owner running the exhaust out of the drivers side rear jack point cover. no heat/melting issues and it has been on for a few months now. Its gutted pre cats, no cat, and a 12 inch glasspack......very loud! But I wouldnt say it sounds bad

Back