• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Resonator replacement

bobbo

CEG'er
Thinking I want to try some performance mods of sorts... figure a resonator is a choke point in the exhaust as it tapers down to it (I still want my cats, b/c in NY they do a visual inspection to see if everything is there), and it doesn't seem that expensive of a job.

a) what do I need to replace it with something like a glasspack or a magnaflow?
b) what's the best thing to replace it with, especially if I get addicted to modding? How much?
c) how difficult is it (is actually welding it the hard part?)? Should I have someone else do it?
d) will it affect gas mileage? (as long as it isn't a huge drop, I'm fine)

a) just cut out the existing rez and weld in the new one
b) depnding on what your gonna do you can just get rid of it compleatly and weld in a pipe
c) welding is the hard part. but depending on what your putting in you might need to make a slight bend in a pipe
d) YES because you will get on the car more cuz it sounds better.

If there is anything else someone will fill us in

Honestly how annoying is it with a straight pipe instead? What about a cheap cherry bomb style straight through muffler?

personally i don't like the straight pipe it is to raspy for me, but to each there own! but i am running a magnaflow resonator on a SVT exhaust, but i have heard it with a glass pack instead of a magnaflow and that also sounded good!
well the welding is not hard, if you know how to and if you have the tools. but i love to weld!!!:laugh:

and for MPG it is hard to keep you foot of the gas with such a nice sound lol:drool:

I'm interested also. I have a catless test pipe and 4" round Magnaflow waiting to go on the car this summer, but I'm curious if the cheapo cherry bomb might sound just as nice for a lot less money, then I could sell the Magnaflow. Any opinions? I have stock unmolested manifolds, btw. I don't particularly like rasp, but I could deal with a little. I really like the way that stock sounds inside the car, I am just looking for a little better flow and more sound, with a deeper tone if possible.

I'm interested also. I have a catless test pipe and 4" round Magnaflow waiting to go on the car this summer, but I'm curious if the cheapo cherry bomb might sound just as nice for a lot less money, then I could sell the Magnaflow. Any opinions? I have stock unmolested manifolds, btw. I don't particularly like rasp, but I could deal with a little. I really like the way that stock sounds inside the car, I am just looking for a little better flow and more sound, with a deeper tone if possible.

If you have a stock exhaust, a cherry bomb will work fine. Its not the greatest and don't expect it to do something phenomenal. It will reduce rasp though and thats what every in the end wants.

I had a glass pack with my stock exhaust and it sounded nice. It had a nice sound when down shifting and while going through the gears. I bought the car with the glass pack installed.

Then I had to mess with it. :cry: I went with Magnaflow mufflers and a Magnaflow in place of the glass pack. I HATED it!! It's was way to quiet for me so I bought headers. Still not what I want, it's to quiet. At WOT it sounds decent but with the glass pack I didn't need to be at WOT for it to sound good.

I had the Magnaflow resonator taken out and a glass pack put back in. It's better but not as it was before. I'm actually thinking of having my stock mufflers reinstalled and keeping the glass pack.

To be quite honest, the Magnaflows were the biggest mistake I've made.

A few people have asked me about the glass pack. I've told them to get one, have it installed and leave the stock mufflers. Everyone of them are happy with the sound. It's not ricey at all and it's not expensive.

Its not the greatest and don't expect it to do something phenomenal. It will reduce rasp though and thats what every in the end wants.

What would you consider the greatest then? And you mean it reduces rasp over using a straight pipe?

What would you consider the greatest then? And you mean it reduces rasp over using a straight pipe?

well like i said the just the magnaflow resonator and stock mufflers sound great!!!! but i am also a stock SVT exhaust with stock SVT exhaust mufflers..... but once again that's just my 2 cents:shrug:

For what it's worth, Onimitsu is running an SVT main cat and SVT exhaust with Magnaflow 10435 resonator welded in.

It's my old exhaust that was on my Mystique. Very nice setup, deep tone, not at all raspy, but fairly quiet.

When I had it on my Mystique, I also had an optimized y-pipe. Which is the only reason I can figure why it was louder on the Mystique. We'll see once we optimize his y-pipe, if thats not it I have no clue.

Another option if the OP doesn't have an SVT exhaust would be to get one and replace the resonator on that with a glasspack. SVT exhausts seem to be popping up cheap lately and its a fairly easy mod to do.

I'm actually thinking of having my stock mufflers reinstalled and keeping the glass pack.

A few people have asked me about the glass pack. I've told them to get one, have it installed and leave the stock mufflers. Everyone of them are happy with the sound..

This is what I'm currently running, MSDS > Thrush glasspack > stock SVT mufflers. Sounds good to me, many others have complimented me on it, too.

Back