• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Anyone running an Aero muffler?

SicSE

Veteran CEG'er
http://www.aeroexhaust.com/aero_stealth.html

I'm redoing my exhaust and am trying to juggle as little restriction as possible with as little noise as possible. I realize that those two don't really go together, but I believe in sound deflection and absorbtion as opposed to flow restriction, for controlling sound - more on that another time perhaps. Anyway, I am curious if anyone is running an Aero muffler or Dynomax Ultraflow, (offset/offset style), and how loud they consider it.

http://www.aeroexhaust.com/aero_stealth.html

I'm redoing my exhaust and am trying to juggle as little restriction as possible with as little noise as possible. I realize that those two don't really go together, but I believe in sound deflection and absorbtion as opposed to flow restriction, for controlling sound - more on that another time perhaps. Anyway, I am curious if anyone is running an Aero muffler or Dynomax Ultraflow, (offset/offset style), and how loud they consider it.

I don't know of anyone in my time here running aero mufflers. They cost alittle too much. I would recommend borla over them any day though, because borla is quieter and the contour sounds amazing with them installed.

Ultra flow are good mufflers and again they give a really unique sound. I only heard this muffler on a single exit se contour. It did sound way different than what i am used too thats for sure.

Both will give you a unique quiet sound and give you good flow. Good choices man. If our planning on paying that high of price, i would recommend a borla muffler from my personal choice. I love the way they sound!! Hands down.

im going to be running a single aero 2540i muffler on my zetec. should be ordering it tonight. the average price i found it for was about $125 which is way cheaper than a good borla muffler.

If i like it i may try a single 2525 in place of the resonator with a pair of Monza resonated tips on the SVT.

my buddy with a 04 jetta gli, put a 3" exhaust with a magnaflow resonator and a some kind of quiet flow dynamax and its just a tad louder, still quiet around town but nice growl when he gets on it, and once he got his car tuned he made great gains with no addition sound really

i would recommend a borla muffler from my personal choice. I love the way they sound!! Hands down.
I hear ya on the sound. A friend of mine had a Borla exhaust on his 95 Z28 and that thing was one of the sweetest sounding cars I've ever heard. I'm looking at keeping the cost to around $100 though, and I don't think I could buy a Borla logo for that!

Thanks for the input guys.

I hear ya on the sound. A friend of mine had a Borla exhaust on his 95 Z28 and that thing was one of the sweetest sounding cars I've ever heard. I'm looking at keeping the cost to around $100 though, and I don't think I could buy a Borla logo for that!

Thanks for the input guys.

Tell me your size inlet/outlet offset on each end. ANd i will help you :)

im going to be running a single aero 2540i muffler on my zetec. should be ordering it tonight. the average price i found it for was about $125 which is way cheaper than a good borla muffler.

If i like it i may try a single 2525 in place of the resonator with a pair of Monza resonated tips on the SVT.

Borla mufflers are around 120:shrug:

I agree that aero has good muffler internal passage designs. Which reminds me of edelbrocks prior work. So i'm a fan :)

Borla mufflers are around 120:shrug:
really? all the prices i see for 2.5" in/out center/center are at least $160 or higher.

I agree that aero has good muffler internal passage designs. Which reminds me of edelbrocks prior work. So i'm a fan :)

the design of the aero mufflers as my intrigued so i thought i would try it and see how it sounds.

really? all the prices i see for 2.5" in/out center/center are at least $160 or higher.

the design of the aero mufflers as my intrigued so i thought i would try it and see how it sounds.
Look at 'wicked nicky exhaust' for the best prices I've found on Borla.
I held the Aeros at my friend's muffler shop and they look like a quality design.
-J

Tell me your size inlet/outlet offset on each end. ANd i will help you :)
3"... I know the consensus is that 2.5" is optimal but once I get around the tank, I'm doing a gradual expansion to 3". So I'm looking at a 3" inlet on the muffler.

So what are some opinions on which muffler would offer the most sound deadening? If I go with the Dynomax, it will NOT be the exact one pictured but will have an offset inlet AND offset outlet.
floweld_cut.jpg

S170thumb.jpg

S187thumb.jpg

S156thumb.jpg

http://www.dynomax.com/products/ultrafloweld.html
http://www.aeroexhaust.net/170.html
http://www.aeroexhaust.net/187.html
http://www.aeroexhaust.net/156.html

I'm leaning toward the last aero pictured - the 156. Either of the two above it are big tanks & would be a tight fit, plus I think I like the inner Y design the best anyway. It seems to me that it would do the most sound deadening/absorbing of the different designs. I've also thrown around possibly getting an inner X & making my own dual-pass but that might take me a little farther past my $100 budget than I'm willing to go.

3"... I know the consensus is that 2.5" is optimal but once I get around the tank, I'm doing a gradual expansion to 3". So I'm looking at a 3" inlet on the muffler.

So what are some opinions on which muffler would offer the most sound deadening? If I go with the Dynomax, it will NOT be the exact one pictured but will have an offset inlet AND offset outlet.
floweld_cut.jpg

S170thumb.jpg

S187thumb.jpg

S156thumb.jpg

I'm leaning toward the last aero pictured - the 156. Either of the two above it are big tanks & would be a tight fit, plus I think I like the inner Y design the best anyway. It seems to me that it would do the most sound deadening/absorbing of the different designs. I've also thrown around possibly getting an inner X & making my own dual-pass but that might take me a little farther past my $100 budget than I'm willing to go.

Alot of good mufflers here. See this is what i favor, because i have the edelbrock version of this muffler.
S170thumb.jpg

This is the same muffler traps recommended for me when i was complaining about drone and rasp. Great design and flows just great also.

In all honesty, it comes down to what design will work best for you. All of aero's mufflers you have pictured here will have a bigger impact at reducing noise, then the magnaflow muffler above. The splitting of the exhaust and reconnecting them changes the pulses which changes volume. So all 3 will give promising results. Honestly pick one that you see would work best for what you do. Since they all will flow great and will keep your car quiet. Your all set.

Heck i like the split x- design especially for my tru-duals i am putting together. I was gonna sell my high flow cats and get a dual in and dual out high flow cat because it had an internal x-pipe. Now i might just go with one of these.:cool:

Look at 'wicked nicky exhaust' for the best prices I've found on Borla.
I held the Aeros at my friend's muffler shop and they look like a quality design.
-J

'wicked nicky exhaust'

80 dollars for borla. Shipping is 15 dollars.

I talked myself into the inner split-pipe from Aero... then came to the realization that I can't make it fit. :blackeye: I can't find Edelbrock's version - do they not make it anymore? Anyone aware of another company that makes something similar to the Aero 170?
S170thumb.jpg

I talked myself into the inner split-pipe from Aero... then came to the realization that I can't make it fit. :blackeye: I can't find Edelbrock's version - do they not make it anymore? Anyone aware of another company that makes something similar to the Aero 170?
S170thumb.jpg

I don't know of any other company that does.

Yes edelbrock stop making them. I guess if you search around, you might some left over stock that some company has.

try jegs or even summit. See if they have anything left over in there inventory :shrug:

I just installed a full 2.5" catback ending with a pair of Aero Turbine 2540i mufflers. i will update this post with a link to a thread in pics and vids once the video is uploaded to youtube.

Link

Last edited:
I just installed a full 2.5" catback ending with a pair of Aero Turbine 2540i mufflers. i will update this post with a link to a thread in pics and vids once the video is uploaded to youtube.

Link

Your car sounds great. See if you can mount the camera and drive around town for a bit. I wanna know what it sounds like at all rpms:cool:

Back