• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Exhaust Heat Shields

wolfeman351

New CEG'er
The heat shields under my 96 mystique are torn and rattling a lot. Any suggestions on a place to purchase replacements? I am sure they are needed or they would not be there so I did not just remove them. As annoying as the rattle is, I was tempted.

I will take that as a no then. I just beat them with a hammer and reshaped the old ones.

I will take that as a no then. I just beat them with a hammer and reshaped the old ones.

Sorry i missed this post.

You can always go to a dealership. But i would recommend a local junkyard. Or check car-parts.com for junkyards that might have what your looking for.

Also reshaping them would be your best bet to save money. If they are really rusted then obviously you can't do anything with them. So go check out the link above for replacements.

hmm my heatshield wouldnt allow my new muffler to fit as it was too wide. so we took it out and the only problem is the muffler vibrating against the underside during hard left turns :x

hmm my heatshield wouldnt allow my new muffler to fit as it was too wide. so we took it out and the only problem is the muffler vibrating against the underside during hard left turns :x

Then it was the welder, welding the muffler in that is causing the problem.

What muffler did yo choose? During this install did you replace the resonator or muffler?

Then it was the welder, welding the muffler in that is causing the problem.

What muffler did yo choose? During this install did you replace the resonator or muffler?

http://trubendz.com/home.asp?produc...ontour_dual&productid=1222325&pagetype=detail

i got that, there was no welding during installation. instead of my 2 old mufflers i just have the one now. i dont even know what a resonator is. i dont think i have one at all cause everything else including where the cats should be is just straight pipe.

and sorry, i didnt mean to hijack your thread

http://trubendz.com/home.asp?produc...ontour_dual&productid=1222325&pagetype=detail

i got that, there was no welding during installation. instead of my 2 old mufflers i just have the one now. i dont even know what a resonator is. i dont think i have one at all cause everything else including where the cats should be is just straight pipe.

and sorry, i didnt mean to hijack your thread

SO you installed a whole new cat-back exhaust kit?
Do you own an svt or an se. I sounds like you own an svt. But you never know what mods people do to what cars. So i'm asking to make sure.

This kit replaces the stock resonator and rear mufflers. It only inserts 1 muffler, in your case it is a borla in the middle.

Did you cut any of the parts to make this kit fit. Most trubendz kits needing cutting to make them fit.

i have an SVT, and no cutting was required to make anything fit, the only thing we did was ripped out the heat shield that goes where the muffler goes, cause it woudlnt fit and we didnt feel like getting the hammer out. its closer on the right side (looking at it from the back end) than it is on the left, and when making sharp or hard left turns especially when on the accelerator it hits the side and makes a horrible noise. i am sure this is whats happening. its tolerable since when turning i take things nice and easy, just sometimes traffic wishes to move a bit faster than id like to go.

i have an SVT, and no cutting was required to make anything fit, the only thing we did was ripped out the heat shield that goes where the muffler goes, cause it woudlnt fit and we didnt feel like getting the hammer out. its closer on the right side (looking at it from the back end) than it is on the left, and when making sharp or hard left turns especially when on the accelerator it hits the side and makes a horrible noise. i am sure this is whats happening. its tolerable since when turning i take things nice and easy, just sometimes traffic wishes to move a bit faster than id like to go.

Did you place the exhaust on the hangers??

Also you might have to cut some of the exhaust shorter to shift the muffler to one side. Uneven tubing lengths is what obviously makes exhausts sit in different locations.

yes it was put on the hangers, but i believe that there were maybe 1 or 2 spots that didnt have the rubber hangers so we didnt put them on. i really dont think that even if they were on it would stop it from hitting, cause it was really a tight fit. nor do i really feel like trying to fix it lol unless, say, it was as easy as hanging it on there better

CEG Name: Whodoescare
Car ethics: Youdontcare

Start taking a little extra time in doing things right and you won't have issues with anything.

As for the muffler not fitting, I can only speak fro my experience, and I got th magnaflow muffler, not borla, and it fit perfectly. I hung my exhaust from every hangar, and even repaced one of the rubber pieces it hangs on. I have had no problems, vibrations, etc from the kit. The only modifications I had to make was bend the rear hangars with propane to get the exhaust tips to site perfectly in the cut outs of the svt bumper

I know of some others who have had similar issues where the Borla in the middle section of the exhaust (where resonator is) won't fit underneath the car appropriately. This is just life. Do the best you can with making it fit, and I suggest supporting the exhaust up as much as possible. If you add a couple more hangers it might not rattle.

CEG Name: Whodoescare
Car ethics: Youdontcare

Start taking a little extra time in doing things right and you won't have issues with anything.

As for the muffler not fitting, I can only speak fro my experience, and I got th magnaflow muffler, not borla, and it fit perfectly. I hung my exhaust from every hangar, and even repaced one of the rubber pieces it hangs on. I have had no problems, vibrations, etc from the kit. The only modifications I had to make was bend the rear hangars with propane to get the exhaust tips to site perfectly in the cut outs of the svt bumper

oh but i do care. i had my good friend put it in and we both work at a ford dealership, he is a technician and im the lot guy. i overlooked most of his work and i believe it is done correctly. i will however take another look when i get time and see if anything else can be done, but from what i remember the muffler is very wide and extra hangers wont work. as for the hangers we didnt put on was only because they werent on to begin with, iirc

and screen names mean nothing, if you are post human then you must be an angel? lol or perhaps a human that posts mean things you big meanie!

and screen names mean nothing, if you are post human then you must be an angel? lol or perhaps a human that posts mean things you big meanie!

lmao, you big meanie lol. alright you got me to laugh.

Have him take a look at things and go from there. You don't want that precious borla getting dented and all banged up now do you?

Back