• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

flexpipe question

steelblueSE

Hard-core CEG'er
Is $135 reasonable to have a new flexpipe installed? I thought the car had one replaced about 4-5yrs ago and it was only like 30-40ish. The 135 quote a local shop gave me seemed way too high. Thanks for the help.

Do you have a Zetec? If so, I purchased a stainless steel one on e-bay for $22 WITH shipping. The problem with replacing the flex pipe is that you gotta drop everything from the cat BACK. Then you cut out the old flex pipe and weld in the new one. It actually is a decent bit of work. $135 doesn't seem too bad to get it done professionally...

A welder/welding shop charges 65 dollars an hour. Add that to the 25 dollars flex pipe.

It should be around 90-100 dollars. 135 is too much just for this job.
Take it somewhere else IMHO

I paid right around $110-$120 for mine. Sounds about right. Try another shop and see what they quote you. Just stay away from Midas/Monroe. They wanted $900... to replace the whole exhaust. According to them, you have to replace everything from the manifolds back. I asked them if they've ever heard of a welding torch and asked for my keys back.

When i had my exhaust done, they had to put in a new flexpipe and it was an extra 100$. I think its about 4 inches long and is welded in. 135 isn't ridiculously high, just more than i payed.

I had mine done 4 years ago, and it looks like it's about to rust through. The pipe itself is stainless steel, it's the welds that are rusting.

Last time I got an oil change I was told I needed a new flex pipe, and I' have got to admit I had no clue what the heck it was until i started looking around on these forums. Well i finally decided to check my out a little so I went and looked at it and yeah mine really needs to be replaced. I took a pic for the rest of ya to see too. Btw anyone know what size I would need off the mentioned website where i could install it myself?

DSCN0296.jpg

IIRC the size was bigger than the normal piping diameter. 3 inches maybe?

FWIW- I took the car back home from college and had a local shop do it. Shiz cost 175 :nonono:. Those retards didn't attach all the hangers, so the slighest bump makes the muffler clunk against the body...and I still have a fuggin whistle coming from somewhere only I can't find any exhuast leak but I swear that's what it is.

edit: forgot to add this- Ninjaspawn, to me your flexpipe looks like it doesn't need replacing. Before mine got fugged over half of the woven outside covering was ripped off and dangling. Unless you have some kind of leak or something, yours looks almost brand new. :shrug:

Last edited:
Well all I know is that during winter when everyone else's tailpipe was smoking mine wasn't is was coming from under the side lol.

edit: forgot to add this- Ninjaspawn, to me your flexpipe looks like it doesn't need replacing. Before mine got fugged over half of the woven outside covering was ripped off and dangling. Unless you have some kind of leak or something, yours looks almost brand new. :shrug:

look closer. you can see it separated from the pipe itself

When I installed my headers i had a 3 bolt flange and a 2 bolt flange.Local muffler shop cut off both flanges,welded on new flex pipe for less than 50 dollars.

Back