• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

resonator delete

I was just curious cause one guy I was talking to at Midas a leak would drop fuel economy, so I figured doing other thing might do it too.

Well...where is the leaking coming from? Is it in front of the o2 sensors or after.

Now that i pointed it out... you know where i am going with this.

So I was at Canadian Tire looking at the 30 dollar Cherry Bomb straight through and went up to the counter to make sure what diameter the pipe was. Guy at the counter says they are extremely over the top loud and do not increase performance what so ever.

I don't really care about performance gains per say, but I don't want an exhaust that is going to attract the wrong kind of attention.
I'm just looking at the Cherry Bomb glass pack as it isn't going to restrict anything and is as cheap/cheaper than 'stock' replacement.

So I was at Canadian Tire looking at the 30 dollar Cherry Bomb straight through and went up to the counter to make sure what diameter the pipe was. Guy at the counter says they are extremely over the top loud and do not increase performance what so ever.

I don't really care about performance gains per say, but I don't want an exhaust that is going to attract the wrong kind of attention.
I'm just looking at the Cherry Bomb glass pack as it isn't going to restrict anything and is as cheap/cheaper than 'stock' replacement.
But you also have 2 mufflers.

Exactly. He was expecting you to replace a muffler with the cherry bomb but you'll still have the 2 mufflers there to quiet it down.

Well I guess if he thought I was replacing my muffler with the bomb, that would make sense. Though the mystique only has the one small muffler, not 2 like on the SVT's.

Well I guess if he thought I was replacing my muffler with the bomb, that would make sense. Though the mystique only has the one small muffler, not 2 like on the SVT's.
Ma bad. Didn't realise you were putting this on a mystique. Still, having a muffler in the line should help significantly. You may just want to put an equivalent resonator back in though if you aren't looking to make any changes, just fix the leak.

i just deleated my resinator and gutted my main cat and at first it sounded perfect and gain more power...now it still sounds good...but it did get a bit raspier.

i just deleated my resinator and gutted my main cat and at first it sounded perfect and gain more power...now it still sounds good...but it did get a bit raspier.

Yes because you still need some type of resonator on your exhaust.

ugh. Exhaust. The most commonly screwed up thing. EVER. Its almost an art, and it IS a science. Ever take 2 liter bottles and but water in them and something to keep it from spilling out, take caps off. Then let the water slowly drain as it bubbles, *BUT - SPIN the bottles around, it creates a vortex/whirlpool that makes the water drain out MUCH faster. This is why bigger is NOT always better. They tune the size to produce a suimilar effect. Best thing IMO is get tid of most restrictive thing (resonator), replace with a borla pro XS (extra silent) muffler for the resonator and get rid of your mufflers. Awesome.

Back