• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

resonator delete

98silverCSVT

New CEG'er
does anybody have any knowledge on resonator deletes? like if hurts the car in any way? if there are any other problems associated with this kind of mod??
needing help soon!!!

does anybody have any knowledge on resonator deletes? like if hurts the car in any way? if there are any other problems associated with this kind of mod??
needing help soon!!!

Have it cut out, and put a piece of straight pipe there, no ill effects at all!

Many say that a straight pipe will lead to rasp, you can also replace the factory resonator with a muffler with a 2.25" diameter, straight through design. I personally used a glasspack instead, others prefer a magnaflow. Check out the exhaust clips thread to get your own opinion. :cool:

getsum111 is right on the rasp. i personally suggest cutting the res, replacing with a straight pipe then adding a magnaflo (M-11114)
good sound and not ricey at all.

Many say that a straight pipe will lead to rasp, you can also replace the factory resonator with a muffler with a 2.25" diameter, straight through design. I personally used a glasspack instead, others prefer a magnaflow. Check out the exhaust clips thread to get your own opinion. :cool:

I did the Resonator delete and put in a 2.25" midpipe. Sounds good but beware your y-pipe or flex pipe might break...Mine did and it flutters and sounds poopy.

^Steph still has that SVT exhaust and glass pack on her Contour.
She gets lots of compliments on the sound.

^Steph still has that SVT exhaust and glass pack on her Contour.
She gets lots of compliments on the sound.

It really does sound good that way especially if thats the only mod you do.

Once you touch any of the 3 cats. The sound changes dramatically.

I should add, my daughter has MSDS headers on her car with the SVT exhaust and glass pack.

Even before we installed the headers it sounded good. With the headers it now has a nice deeper tone to it and its louder.

i have msds headers and a 3" test pipe with a magnaflow cat to a cherry and a stock svt exhaust,

once i changed the cat i got a little rasp out of this setup, very little but enough that i want to change it, sounds like crap when cold. warm it has great tone though.

im thinking of using msds/bat y pipe to my 3" catted test pipe, a 3" pipe with a BIG magaflow resonator then splitting into 2.5" for the y pipe and having straight pipes out the back. i think that would sound awsome, and very loud.

ive always liked the sound of bigger exhausts, so id want to do a bigger mid pipe then desize to 2.5 at the y pipe so i dont lose too much back pressure.

ahhaha...ive got gutted pre cats, gutted main cat, res. delete, no mufflers and just a magnaflow resonator...........its a little loud.........but i love it.

Back