• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

is this exhaust any good?

Just completed the install of the Magnaflow TruBendz Exhaust (non res)... Sounds really good... not too loud but not silent either... I had some fitment issues and Reccomend when installing this exhaust kit to fit each piece one at a time and marking each peice with a sharpie or something similar to give you some freedom to see what fits best....

I actually just finished mine too. Only problems I've had are one of the pipes was too long going into the muffler, and one tip sticks out too far and one sits in too far. :-/ Sounds nice tho.

I actually just finished mine too. Only problems I've had are one of the pipes was too long going into the muffler, and one tip sticks out too far and one sits in too far. :-/ Sounds nice tho.

sounds exactly right.

I think they get the pipes for the rear split mixed up and that causes some of the problem. I had to shorten the first pipe after the muffler, located in the stock resonator possition and the drivers side tip was 2 inches to short. Other then that the hangers did line up correctly

Yea... I am overall impressed with the Kit... I am gonna fab up one or 2 more hangers for added rigidity though....

Tack weld it in place and then finish weld it on the ground. No need for extra hangers. if you have time add a flange right before the rear split for ease of removal.

I recently purchased the SS 3" with Magnaflow middle muffler. I purchased this setup for my turbo.

If you are purchasing this kit, there are a few things to keep in mind:

First, it will be loud in its original form. In the range of 2,200-2,600 RPMs, it was painful to the extent that I had to literally wear earplugs. Moreover, I've never felt the need to take side streets to avoid the police like I did when I had it in that form. Eventually, the addition of a turbo and two more mufflers after the split quieted things down but be forewarned that stock trim is not exactly streetable nor for the faint of heart.

Second, be aware that Stainless Steel is difficult to work with. many muffler shops will not be able to weld it and even if they can, cutting or bending it (to add more mufflers or to correct fitment) will be very difficult, if not impossible in some cases.

Finally, the fitment was atrocious. One muffler extended too far while the radius for one of the bends was so tight, it would not even fit. As another said, the hangers were also out of place. Given the fact that it was stainless steel and all but impossible to bend on even the muffler shop's machine without cracking the pipes, the muffler shop had to "Frankenstein" by cutting and rewelding, at one point using an aluminized piece. Not something that your average backyard mechanic can put together with ease.

The upshot is that it's high quality stainless. It has a beautiful mirrored-like finish. The mandrel bends are also excellent. Unfortunately, given the age of the car, fitment issues and the difficulties I encountered installing it (and consequent added installation cost), I would not recommend this kit.

Last edited:
I have that same exhaust and i am very happy with it. I gained a good amount of power over 4000 rpms. It also sounds very good and its a great deal

Back