• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Engine Swap

Emery Barrett

New CEG'er
Hey guys, so I ordered a 2.5L SVT motor for my 2002 Cougar v6 and I was wondering if they are the same? Will the 2.5 drop in? I know I will have to run an xgt1 ecu but how will it mount up? Does my alternator, serpentine belt, and compressor all mount up to this? Also, I noticed a piece around the SVT oil filter that looks like it has coolant lines coming out of it. Will that be a problem? Let me know if I am missing anything else.

You'll want to swap over your bracketry on the accessory drives. Your 02 Cougar will have a different alternator. Your right on the oil cooler, the SVT had a water cooled oil cooler that hooked up to the water pump. Not sure if you Cougar would have had the oil cooler or not if it didn't you won't be able to use the water pump. So obviously if the engine your getting is missing it you would need to buy a new 98-00 SVT water pump.

Personnally I'm confused why you would have paid a premium for the SVT engine when you could have purchased a 04-05 Escape 3.0L and dropped that in with minor changes and had more power.

The water pump has nothing to do with the SVT oil cooler and is not SVT specific. The non-SVT hose off the bottom of the water pump is cut in half and the two ends connect to the oil cooler.

A cougar would not have the oil cooler unless it was already added by an owner.

For some reason I didn't think the standard water pump had the outlet at the bottom. Thanks for the correction.

FYI you don't even "need" the SVT ECU. I did a couple of engine swaps to non-SVT back in the day and it ran without issues. Even did several 3.0L without an ECU modification.

Back