• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

optomize throttle body question

art

CEG'er
hi
am going to carry out this mod but have a question
I intend to knife edge the leading edge of the butterfly but want to know does it make a difference which edge I chose . with the butterfly closed do I bevel the edge facing the uim , or the edge facing the maf. want to be sure I do not end up with a fast idle

You knife edge the leading edge...the half facing the MAF. BUT...when you turn the linkage to open the TB plate...you knife edge the top side...not the side that sits against the TB body. The bottom side needs to remain perfectly circular so it sits flush...or you'll get a high idle.

hi
am going to carry out this mod but have a question
I intend to knife edge the leading edge of the butterfly but want to know does it make a difference which edge I chose . with the butterfly closed do I bevel the edge facing the uim , or the edge facing the maf. want to be sure I do not end up with a fast idle
Art; I wouldn't waste your time.... cos you're not going to notice any difference.

If you want more throttle response, buy one of these ... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Throttle-Bo...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3380428800&vxp=mtr

this is what I have ... and it works !! ..... G.

.... the ideal TB to use is a 96 - 98 Mustang GT 4.6L SOHC.

I think that Crown Vic is the same part.

I'm certain one of the guys here knows for sure..... G.

I understand the crown vic has different linkage, and that's more difficult to use. I also understand that the BBK 1703 (96-03 F-150 4.6L IIRC) aftermarket 75mm TB is almost a direct bolt-on. Problem is that BBK unit is ~$200+ :-/

Go to some of the Mustang forums. I've gotten old Mustang TB's for as cheap as 10 bucks. All 4.6 SOHC Mustang TB's are the same, PI or non-PI.

BTW, if you're not getting any power or throttle response from an optimized SVT TB, you're doing something wrong.

Please forgive my ignorance, but when you go to a larger diameter throttle body, do you also have to widen out the intake of the UIM ?

thanks,

Mad Dog

It depends on which intake/TB you have, but the 65mm I had (stock Mustang one) fit fine without any modification on the 2.5 and 3.0 aluminum intakes. The 70mm one required some porting though.

So, if I understand correctly, the opening on the UIM is wider than the stock SVT throttle body, so using a wider TB (Mustang, etc) opens up the intake flow as a whole ?

thanks,

Mad Dog

In my experience, the 2.5 never needed any more throttle body, just clean up the flow on the SVT one and be done with it. Once some serious mods are done (3L, SC, turbo), then the TB becomes the restriction worthy of an upgrade.

Am I correct in assuming the Mustang Optimized TB can be carried over to a 3L block (full oval) ?

thanks,

Mad Dog

I've never messed with that particular combination, so I don't know. I know the Mustang parts fit on the 3L aluminum intakes and the 2.5 SVT and non-SVT intakes, so I would guess yes, but not for certain.

finished tb, half shafted, knife edged butterfly, blended angle where tb bore reduces, and radiused rear of tb where it meets larger dia uim opening

Attachments

• tbody4..JPG
    tbody4..JPG
    275 KB · Views: 0
  • tbody2..JPG
    tbody2..JPG
    289.7 KB · Views: 0
  • tbody1..JPG
    tbody1..JPG
    248 KB · Views: 0
  • tbody3..JPG
    tbody3..JPG