• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

MY stab-o-shoc replacement

doomsayer559

CEG'er
After many walks down the hardware aisle I had an idea. It consits of a 6" threaded rod/stud and two yokes. The parts are by no means a perfect fit with eachother BUT it should work. This is a test. Im going to see if I like a solid link. If so ill come up with a better version. Hey its gotta be better than a blown damper?

Couple quick shots

20130626_185232.jpg

20130626_185225.jpg

Here is what I used when I had an ACR Neon - "Booble Strut" is the term Mopar uses -
Bushed_Neon_Strut_01.jpg

Another variation, all with the idea that you go solid with a certain amount of give thru the use of bushings -
bluemount.jpg

Maybe someone will get something fabricated for us SVT and 'Tour owners? I put a bug into Jeff Ball's ear, owner of Booger Bushings. He promptly responded that he is going to "look into" supplying us with various bushings and other wear items.

if you have solid mounts on the front and back doesnt that make the stab o shock pointless? i know there is a good chunk of people at this point that have solid mounts

i dont think the all-thread will break, but it will bend for sure, it doesnt look all that thick

Bradness made a near solid replacement " street link" way back when. I've been running it for awhile with no issues, though it's a lot better built & beefier than anything pictured above

if you have solid mounts on the front and back doesnt that make the stab o shock pointless?

Thats true. I'd say that a good poly insert from Energy Suspension in the front mount would completely eliminate the need for a Stab-O-Shoc, and probably perform better anyway. The SOS would provide a little less vibration, and therefore a little more motion, than a poly insert.

I would like to see a picture of the street link if any one has one. From what I think I remember was that it was just a mini tubular bar with hiem joints. Kinda like the toe arms that are available.

floppy sloppy

floppy sloppy

I always had a genuine distaste for the way the engine flopped about in this vehicle.
Not to mention how the torque mount self-destructs...

I am curious to see how it holds up. Im not saying its ideal but I made it for next to nothing. And I can go from here if theres any issues. I also looked into getting a threaded alumin arm kinda like a toe arm. And I do not have any mount upgrades at all. So this should help a bit. If it breaks ill look at other hardware and bushings. I would actually say that this is temp until I can make a better piece. That looks better as well..

Here it isninstalled

20130628_172109.jpg

Well its been one for 1 solid day with no issues. Visible engine movement is almost non existent and the car seems to shift a tad better and seems to "hook" into gear better. I like it a lot so far. And for $15 Im very happy with this. Ive also made sure to pound the gears good a few times and re-check it and like I said, no issues to speak of. At least not yet. Time will tell.

Glad to hear this report - doesn't get any better than this, at day #1. Your "fix" is delivering the goods, at this time.
Do keep us posted. Thanks again -

Don't worry I'll be designing and building a replacement for the Stabilus Stab-O-Shoc. It's been on my to do list for some time now. However since I'll be needing it for my powertrain install it will be addressed shortly.

Back