• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Big(er) bore 3.0?

hylix

CEG'er
I was just thinking about a way to squeeze out some high RPM ponies from these engines. Something that maybe Rwalton, or Pole120 could use. This forum is accustomed to the hack-n-match of "compatible" parts like my awesome SVT UIM mated to my hacked oval ports heads for example:help:. But I had a thought, and that thought may be a little less "hack" and a much better "match".

First, a couple of points/rumors that led me to this hair-brained idea:

• I recall reading somewhere (maybe a post of DemonSVT's?), that the 2.5 heads+larger valves 'should' flow more volume than the 3.0 heads.
  • 2001+ Cougar heads have proper oil drains, solving the oil starvation issue
  • NPG has a 3.5 block.
  • The Jaguar X-type 2.0 (AJ20) is a descendant of the duratec25/30
  • The SVT cams have great high RPM performace

So what if you took an NPG 3.5 block, Fitted 2001+ 2.5 heads, SVT cams, and stole the crank+rods from an AJ20? You'd basicly have a ~3.0L hybrid. With bigger bore, shorter stroke, and high compression. It kinda seems like a winning combination for something like open road racing. The questionable part is the splitport UIM volume. Which is lacking a bit from what I understand.

VERY rough calculations look like:
Code:
displacement    bore    stroke    Appx. Cyl. Vol.        Appx CC Dis.
2.0             81.6    66.8      344713                 2068
2.5             82.4    79.5      418334                 2510
3.0             89      79.5      488032                 2928
3.5             97      79.5      579712                 3478
3.0             97      66.8      487103                 2922

Could the exaggerated over-square configuration be a winner??

I dare someone to buy an NPG 3.5 block for the experiment.:laugh:

Yes, I realize CEG members likely couldn't (or wouldn't) afford the NPG 3.5, and sourcing the 2.0 stuff would be difficult, but I'd like to spur some intelligent conversation. Something that CEG hasn't really had a whole lot of in a while.

I know, I know, the big question is "Why?"...

...Because I get bored at work. That's why.

that is close to the combination I am currently building.

Well, save the AJ20 stuff.

2001 cougar heads, wait til you see the PnP work, it isn't done yet.
2004 escape 3.0l bottom end, completely rebuilt.
The most extreme UIM you have ever seen.
Sho-source LIM, 38mm secondaries.
SVT cams.

Though the aj20 wrinkle is something I haven't considered. I have looked at the NPG 3

Hey Hylix; I'll pitch in with.... I wouldn't run a built 3.5L engine with stock rods. I could be wrong, but I think the Jaguar rods are as crap as ours.

The 2.0L stuff is readily available in the UK. ....G.

I wouldn't run a built 3.5L engine with stock rods.

Yeah, I thought the same thing about the stock rods. I haven't bothered to look for forged rods for the AJ20, because, well, I didn't think there were any available.. and I have no need for them. I'm sure someone could scratch some up though. I mean, come on, our hypothetical build here is already using a $4k+ block! :laugh:

Yeah, I thought the same thing about the stock rods. I haven't bothered to look for forged rods for the AJ20, because, well, I didn't think there were any available.. and I have no need for them. I'm sure someone could scratch some up though. I mean, come on, our hypothetical build here is already using a $4k+ block! :laugh:
Carillo will build you whatever rods you want, since we're talking about a (nearly) blank check build. They did some pretty sweet rods for a twin-charged Subaru Justy.

I was hoping to see a custom sheet metal intake shaped like an ST220. That would be AWESOME!! Since we are talking about an EPIC motor build...you know that he makes a 3.7L block too right?? So I say:

3.7L block with forged rods and pistons...all ARP hardware.
Escape pan modded to accept dry sump oiling
3L ported and polished heads, bigger valves and valve springs, and good retainers...ARP headstuds
Cloyes makes timing chains, guides, and tensioners last I checked.
Fully adjustable cams, I know they are out there...cant think of the name (somebody help me remember??) I know they are pricey as hell though.
I would say bigger than 24lb injectors....might be looking into 32lbs or so at this level.
St220 ported LIM
Custom St220 style sheet metal UIM
80mm throttle body
Fully adjustable MAF sensor
Custom built long tube headers into TRUE 3" dual exhaust (maybe X or H piped to equalize pressures)
Dry sump oiling system and an external oil resevoir
Vacuum system to gain some more ponies
Stand alone computer system

Something epic along those lines. No need for a turbo at that point....it would just be a badass NA car!! That would be my dream motor build for one of these cars....or a 3.4L(he also makes a 3.4L) turbo motor!!

Back