• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Oil Cooler

^^^ This adapts 5/8"-18 To 3/4"-16 thread, which won't be a whole lot of help for the Duratec's M22-1.5 oil filter thread. I think these allow one to use modern filters on Austin Healeys and other old British Leylend exotica. :laugh:

I assume you want to lose the factory oil/water cooler and install a thermostatic sandwich plate on the engine block, then put the filter on the sandwich plate?

You'll need an M22-1.5 to M22-1.5 straight pipe nipple, these are notoriously hard to find.

Some time back, I remembered that pressure washer hose couplings are M22-1.5 straight thread, went and looked at one I have in the garage and sure enough, it would make a nice M22 pipe nipple. These can be had at Lowes and Home Despot for $5. They're Brass, heavy wall, rated to like 2000psi, plenty adequate to move engine oil about.
northstar_hose_to_hose_coupler_22mm_.jpg

You will have to chuck it up in a lathe and turn off the flats, as they will interfere with the threaded portion fully seating in the engine block, then you can attach your M22 thermo sandwich adapter. I used one of these to put a remote filter adapter directly on my engine block, as I have a remote filter mount under the battery with a remote thermo sandwich plate to feed the oil cooler.

.... I used a spare stock block/filter piece and had it turned down to the necessary length.

This way, the ID is correct and you retain the hex flats inside the piece for tightening .... and for removing (it can get very tight after a while)...G.

We'd talked about that before. I kept my CSVT oil cooler and stem intact to put on the 3L in my '08 Milan Premier. I sense that svtfixer is on a budget, and toting that stem to a machine shop, fixturing, doing a cutoff and threading operation is about an hour of operator/machine time, and the small machine shops I deal with regularly are running >$90/hour, so... If he's creative, he can take the flats off the PW adapter with a Dremel and a sanding drum.

We'd talked about that before. I kept my CSVT oil cooler and stem intact to put on the 3L in my '08 Milan Premier. I sense that svtfixer is on a budget, and toting that stem to a machine shop, fixturing, doing a cutoff and threading operation is about an hour of operator/machine time, and the small machine shops I deal with regularly are running >$90/hour, so...

I paid $30.

Maybe I was fortunate, i'm just putting that info. out there.

Interested to see pictures of the sandwich plate on the block .... G.

eh im on a sensible budget. i hate the stock oil cooler, its just personal grudge and to replace it with a 350 dollar setup which is better is pushing reasonable. on my other csvt i have i have the expensiove core but used a filter relocation kit. for the sake of trying something different. i prodded a bit i got a part number for the non svt adapter piece from ford and i will have one soon.

Oil Cooler

Stock cooler isn't really a cooler. It's a heat exchanger. I cant imagine how 200+ degree coolant helps you oil stay cool, it does however get the car to operating temp sooner.

Im running a thermostatic mocal cooler and plate from bat, very pleased with them.

Stock cooler isn't really a cooler. It's a heat exchanger. I cant imagine how 200+ degree coolant helps you oil stay cool, it does however get the car to operating temp sooner.

This was the main reason I yanked the oil/water cooler, I was seeing oil at 250 to 270F running 80MPH on the highway at 100F ambient across Colorado and Nebraska. Coolant was running 225F at the time - there just wasn't enough heat exchange capacity in the right direction to keep the oil at a reasonable temp, and at 260F, the hot oil pressure drops over 10psi from where it runs when the oil is at a more reasonable 225F.

I daily drove the car for near a year with no oil cooler and saw virtually no difference in oil warmup times, YMMV.

I have a sandwich oil thermostat and flat plate air/oil cooler now and don't see the excessive oil temps any more.

i spoke w eric from bat and he said the cooling capabilities of the stock cooler is only like 10 degrees or so and that since its longer to warm up without it, theres more emissions. since ive been running around without it i have seen that it does take longer to warm up and also the running temp sits lower believe it or not. this is is with a decent amount of hose disconnected also so slightly less volume as well.

i got my order fixed from racer parts and also got a non svt pipe adapter for the sandwhich plate so im good to go. now its a high of 30 degrees and windy as hell. the day the wrong order arrived it was damn near 60 degrees. figures.

So, to install this sandwich to the block, you'll need an M22-1.5 to M22-1.5 straight thread pipe nipple, these are very hard to find, but I made one from a pressure washer hose connector, you'll need to chuck it in a lathe and machine off the wrench flats so it fits properly.

just bought one of these.... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OIL-PRESS...arParts_SM&hash=item2586b13326#ht_1110wt_1057

i'm re-siting my sandwich block on the engine because the filter hung too low for comfort.

I'll let you know how the nipple works .. in case anyone is looking for one ....G.

Back