• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

2.5 Rebuild

DanMystique

CEG'er
I Plan on rebuilding my 96 2.5 with 169K miles and i want to know if there is a set of forged pistons, and connecting rods, and where should i go to get all the parts and i need a price range, i have rebuilt a handful of ford 302s, 351Ws, 429s and one 429cj i know the rebuild kit is cheap for the older V-8s, but something tells me the duratec would be expensive i need some input

forged pistons from diamond i think cost me $895 and the forged rods were around $1200. i think its pointless for the price unless your building a turbo motor or nitrous. if not then just get a good set of hyperutetics with lower ring lands i think 01+. there was a thread about it. i dunno just imo, but someone will chime in with the exact piston you should use for your rebuild.

i run a 100 shot on my stock 2.5 block with cast internals and 150k miles on it. just get a clutch and a limited slip to start...

like what kind of boost do you want to run. i think 8 psi is ok on stock pistons if theyre the 01+ pistons, lower ring lands. but nitrous and boost, that may need the money to back it up. buy the parts if you plan on throwing down some impressive numbers.

It will bolt up, but any type of power adder is likely to kill the ATX. Even with the 2.5 you'll be running into tranny issues.

Any suggestions besides swapping the ATX for the MTX, I love the car i have now lotsa good times and i know converting it from automatic to manual would be a pain in the ass

You can stick a tranny cooler on it, that may help a little. Either way if your doing some type of power adder you'd have to keep the hp low.

Back