• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

MSD releases new Street Fire coil pack for Ford V6

Yeah, I'm aware of that.
But all of my 6 coils are still going strong after 60,000 mi of DIS-4 HO abuse. :crazy:
I think it's not that a big deal. :cool:

That'll be good to have for my race motor. I'll keep that in mind.

So correct me if I'm wrong: This MSD coilpack is meant to supply a stronger spark to the plugs for longer, and the leads are meant to lower resistance, thus giving more energy in the spark?

Won't that be hard on plugs? I've got NGK platinums in mine which are probably due for a change but they cost too damn much here

Yeah, I'm aware of that.
But all of my 6 coils are still going strong after 60,000 mi of DIS-4 HO abuse. :crazy:
I think it's not that a big deal. :cool:

Sorry to dig up this old thread. My DIS-4 HO went out today. It held 100,000 miles of daily drive and some street racing for me. FYI.
MSD techs once told me it won't hold up for 30min of racing and/or daily driving. Ha!

They said it's a high output module, and would overheat during daily driving. Something like that.

Interesting. Nice job proving them wrong. Did you mount it inside of the car? I wish i could run something for a hotter spark, but nothing clears the st220 UIM.

I put the box in the trunk. I couldn't find a place cool enough for the box in our tight engine bay. So I wired up a roundtrip of 30ft of signal cables from the coils to the trunk and back to the engine bay. This seemed to cool the box down.
Wasn't it possible to use a COP on a ST220 UIM? If you're using the original 6-tower coil pack, the ST220 had them installed at the front of the engine, where the IMRC was located. You would need to fabricate a bracket, or buy one from UK.
From my experience, along with the DIS-4 HO and the Blaster COPs, the AGSF32FM spark plugs had to be replaced every 15K to 20K miles. FYI.

No bolt on application with the 04 valve covers and st220 manifold. I've been looking there isn't anything w/ enough clearance.

Hmm...would there be enough clearance with the old 2.5 valve covers? Just fab a bracket to press down the COPs, like mine.

Yep. But the 04 valve covers pcv system is much better, i'm not willing to lose that.

See pic with .5" spacers
6a0r.jpg

cyi5.jpg

Back