• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

MSD releases new Street Fire coil pack for Ford V6

CSVT#49

Addicted CEG'er
Just found out about this after looking at the SHO Source website for the intake info. I might have to sell my Accel supercoil so that I have an MSD coil to match my MSD DIS-4 ;)

MSD Street Fire Coil P/N 5528, fits 94-00

FTW...

121-5528.jpg

nice man. have you known anybody that got a set f the lower and upper intakes from them? wouldn't mind some feed back before i get a set

A couple of us have the lower, not sure if anyone has the upper yet. My lower hasnt been installed so I cant comment on the performance increase

FML the red and black would go perfect in my red and black engine bay tied in with my magnecore wires...what's thw price tag on that looking like?

Seems like a lot of money to spend for a part that will probably accomplish no more than the OEM ford coil pack will.
I suspose if your coil pack needs replacing this might be a good option though.

Someone needs to do a before and after dyno. I know the msd coils for the modular ford v8's are garbage and they don't increase power whatsoever. Atleast it looks cool lol

I was waiting for this to come out for quite a while. But when MSD COP coils were out, I changed my mind. I used those coils with DIS-4 HO on my Mondeo 2.5 V6 for almost 2 years now.
Here're the pics:

The 3 in the front:
2942087496_14f769339d_o.jpg

The ones in the back.
2942089132_d3a901ab4b_o.jpg

From what I felt, the idle is smoother and the engine rev-up much quicker. I think it's a good mod for me (although a bit pricy :cool:). I think the Street Fire coil pack will also do the same, but I don't like the mess of coil wires. I've got enough pipings and wirings already, as you can see. :crazy:

Has to be a "fuel rail" of some sort...look where it comes from and where it goes...

Yup! It's a propane injection system. Italian brand called Lovato.
My car runs on propane and gas. Saves on fuel charges. :rolleyes:

that looks crazy why dont you switch to 04/05 valve covers?

Well, I did bought the valve covers. But I'm not in the mood to do the switch yet. :eek:
Besides, things still look neat with that Duratec 3.0 engine cover on. :laugh:

2737906907_743fd6ff88_o.jpg

Oh, there's one more reason why I didn't change the valve covers: that nice looking Duratec 3.0 cover won't fit with '04 valve cover. LOL

I dont know, I got my streetfire coil the other day and it was all black plastic. I emailed MSD to make sure it is a legit part, I find it odd they would just change plastic color like that and not show it online...

I think it's because they are "StreetFire" series. They probably change color to show different product lines.

I was waiting for this to come out for quite a while. But when MSD COP coils were out, I changed my mind. I used those coils with DIS-4 HO on my Mondeo 2.5 V6 for almost 2 years now.

Hey hcl I meant to ask you before, and seeing this thread pop again reminded me...

I talked with the MSD tech guys and they were telling me to drive the COP's with the DIS-4 I would need 2 of the DIS-4 modules as they are only capable of driving 4 COP units. How do you have yours wired... are you using 2 units?

I used only 1 DIS-4 unit.
The Contour uses waste spark system and has 3 ignition signals. Which means each ignition signal drives 2 COPs.
You need to mod the wires to COP first, as in: http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?37684-COP-How-To-w-Drawing
Then connect each of the signal lines (c1-3 as in pic of above link) to the DIS-4's 3 out of 4 signal sets.
There is no way I can think of to connect 2 DIS-4 units.

I used only 1 DIS-4 unit.
The Contour uses waste spark system and has 3 ignition signals. Which means each ignition signal drives 2 COPs.
You need to mod the wires to COP first, as in: http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?37684-COP-How-To-w-Drawing
Then connect each of the signal lines (c1-3 as in pic of above link) to the DIS-4's 3 out of 4 signal sets.
There is no way I can think of to connect 2 DIS-4 units.

Thanks for the reply hcl. However, yes I know it's a waste spark system. I thought maybe you had found a way to run them as they were designed to be. Running COP's with a waste spark system isn't the greatest idea as it will heat them up, they were not intended for those duty cycles. So when your car is idling at say 700rpm, it's equivalent to running the COP's at 1400rpm. At 3000rpm it's equivalent to 6000rpm, so on and so forth.

700rpm -> on a V6 has each cylinder firing ~58 times a minute (spark plug fires ~116 times with wasted spark)
3000rpm -> one a V6 has each cylinder firing 250 times a minute (spark plug fires 500 times with wasted spark)

So your basically working the COP's twice as hard as they were intended to be.

Back