• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Next Mod ?

Alex532

CEG'er
Ok, so my question is what would you guys do next? Here is my car, it is a very special contique. The engine is out of the car right now and the entire car is apart.

1995 GL 2.5L V6 manual (Originally I4 2.0L)

Engine:
28,000 miles
Exhaust Ports have been ported and polished.
Solid front and rear motor mounts

Transmission:
Brand new
Terry also just installed slick shift and Quaife LSD

Exhaust:
MSDS Headers
BAT modified Y-Pipe
High Flow Cat
Bosal 3" SS exhaust back to two 2.5" pipes out back

Intake:
AEM cold air intake.

Suspension:
koni sport kit
front camber kit
new LCA's
19mm BAT rear sway bar
energy bushings in rear
all other suspension parts are new OEM

Wheels:
17" 2004 focus SVT wheels (I think they're ugly, but so is my car)

I don't want to spend too much more money, any major engine modifications are probably out of the question...What about computer modifications?

Suggestions?

either a hybrid 3l and computer mod which isnt that big u could do nitrous but thats about it, big brakes front and rear stainless lines? underdrive pullies, cams, svt engine parts?

I've been thinking about bigger brakes, but not sure they are needed with what little HP I have now. I forgot to mention I have front SS brake lines.

How much HP do you think I could get with underdrive pulleys?

Also, I thought about SVT Cams, but for how much work it is, I don't think they are worth it.

Alex,

Your setup was looking great when I was over there and I think you'd be making a mistake by not putting in some svt cams. You can find the cams as cheap as $150 now with all the timing gear included. These will provide a rather substantial HP gain for the money. Also, a set of underdrive pulleys, just the alternator and p/s should net your 3-4 hp, maybe. Get the cams!

So lets say I do the SVT cams...Will I need a new computer? Also what kind of HP gains do you think I will see with just the cams and not the injectors, Lower and upper intake manifolds and throttle body?

Thanks.

wait what were are their svt cams for 150!!!!

ohh wait im doing a 3l haha i dont need them since i dont go past 5k

ohh and undrive will give u alittle more power maybe 1-5hp but ur gonna get more from the svt cams and u should do the injectors from what i read. cams plus lim and uim and tb and maf should get you 200 hp at the crank just like an svt but with the other mods u will have a nicely built car

wish i could build mine up

With just the cams you should be able to retain your stock injectors without a problem. I'd bet you'll see a 8-12 hp increase from the cams as well as give you much more top end pull when compared to the normal cams that die off around 5k.

cams, SVT throttlebody (optimized, if you dont have it) , and good plug wires/plugs.

and for tweaks, SAFC2 if you stay N/A but a real tune is better you could throw some more timing at it. probably the tune is the best HP gain.

Ok, you guys are convincing me that I need SVT cams. Now really, where can I find some for $150?

Also, I saw some thread a while back about installing the cams without the rocker arms in place so there is no pressure on the cam while it is being installed, then installing the rocker arms...Does anyone know if that is the way to do it? I installed some on my old engine and certainly didn't do it like that, but my old engine blew up, so I want to make sure I do it correctly this time.

If I do a SVT throttle body, does anyone know if the cable connectors are the same as my 95? Or does anyone have a picture of a SVT throttle body?

I decided not to go the SVT cam route...I figured by the time I got the cams, timing cover gaskets, and oil pan gasket, I'd be at $250. Then I'd probably be more likely to push the car harder with the increased power at higher rpms and end up ruining my stock bearings since they suck anyway. So not installing them was also a cost avoidance of future problems.

I think I'll just start building up a 3.0L while I'm waiting for this engine to blow up.

Here's a picture of my engine and transmission on the subframe almost ready to go in the car.

Attachments

• engine1-16-07.pdf
    256.9 KB · Views: 0
if your going to upgrade your injectors, you have to get a tune. IMHO, a simple cam svt cam swap on your 2.5L isnt going to require 19 lb injectors.

Do a 3L drop now, you have everything else to support the power, not to mention it seems you have big plans for the car.

You already have 3" exhaust (i dont know why..) so a Turbo SHOULD be in your future. Look forward to Tom and Burrita's Turbo kit, its probably going to blow everyone away.

Back