• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Changing Underdrive pulley

You can try using a tap to fix the threads to get the bolt started or what I have done in the past also is get a drill bit of the right size and drill those threads out. Depends how much he got of it. Worst comes to worse a helicoil could always work.

Your first thing to try is just running a tap into the threads to try to minimize the damage. If that doesn't work then it would be time to retap one way or another.

You need to get a tap & die set.

Then you need to use the tap to try and save the threads. If you don't understand, or don't want to try it, take it to a shop.

Good advice, especially last sentence. If you are having trouble grasping the concept, you are not able to do what they say. No insult of course, but best to recognize one's limitations before further damage occurs.

Yeah I think I better listen to you guys before I make things worse. I like working on my cars, but I never had this particular problem. How much would you think is a reasonable price to pay? Do you know where I can get a new bolt for the pulley?

You can order the bolt from a ford dealership.

Most def take it somewhere you don't have the skills to do this yourself!

Back