• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Spec stage 3 clutch

visionary613

CEG'er
Is the Spec stage 3 clutch really all that bad. I know there are a few people who had issues with this clutch. Has anyone had any good experiances with this clutch. Im thinking about getting one because it is at a good price. Let me know. Thanks

Mine is fine. Noisey but fine. I just took it out when Terry redid my trans and after 8 K miles it shows no wear ( and that was behind a 350 HP turbo 3.0 ).

I bought a Clutch Net clutch to replace it with because I ordered it before Terry did the trans.

If you still decide on a spec clutch, give hetfield a PM - he has a coupon for there.

i ruined my spec clutch over a year ago. however, it lasted 46k miles on an engine with nitrous, and then a 3L with a torsen. so i guess it didnt do me so bad. it shattered the hub into a few pieces though, which was even more uncommon than the usual rivets breaking out scenario. it still had about half its life left i think from a visual inspection. I am currently still running the pressure plate off the spec setup with the clutchnet disc and it works sweet. so not a total loss.

i have a spec stage3 clutch in decent condition with like 30k miles on it now, in my garage. i wouldnt install the disc but if you wanted to go with a clutchnet disc i could sell you the spec PP very cheap. its in decent shape last i checked :)

Is the Spec stage 3 clutch really all that bad. I know there are a few people who had issues with this clutch. Has anyone had any good experiances with this clutch. Im thinking about getting one because it is at a good price. Let me know. Thanks

I'm currently road racing a Contour SVT with a centerforce dual friction (part#DF988988) and in my oppinion its the best choice. It's a little bit expensive but you will not be disappointed.

I'm currently road racing a Contour SVT with a centerforce dual friction (part#DF988988) and in my oppinion its the best choice. It's a little bit expensive but you will not be disappointed.

and from my understanding its about equal to stock ...

and from my understanding its about equal to stock ...

Not really! I'm not an expert I just race my car as hard as I can. But as far as I noticed the dual friction disc was a big upgrade for my car.

DF505120T

Is this clutch kit really looking like the stock clutch?

I get this from the Centerforce web site: (hope I'm not doing anything against the rules)
The patented Centerforce Dual-Friction disc system distributes pressure plate clamping force evenly over a 360-degree friction-facing on one side of the clutch disc, while the opposing side uses a segmented friction-facing to concentrate clamping pressure and maximize clutch holding-capacity. This combination of dual configured friction-facings, coupled with our performance pressure plate, creates the ultimate clutch system that is engineered for smooth drivability, maximum longevity and awesome grip!

DualFrictionTech

I never said it looked like the stock clutch. I said that it was similar. either way based on what was listed on the web page it wasn't going to hold the power that I needed it to.

The reason is the funds in my pocket. Sure if I had a bunch of extra money I would buy a better clutch, but I dont. i'm married with 3 cars and a house. trust me spending 400.00 on a clutch is not an option. I got a good deal thats why.

The reason is the funds in my pocket. Sure if I had a bunch of extra money I would buy a better clutch, but I dont. i'm married with 3 cars and a house. trust me spending 400.00 on a clutch is not an option. I got a good deal thats why.
Its only a good deal if you dont have to pull the trans and replace the clutch again in less than 10K miles, thus spending more than y=it would have cost you put in a good clutch in the first place.

I understand the logic in what your saying. You really cannot judge my situation unless your in it. If the clutch goes in 10 k miles fine. I will deal with it then. I just had heart surgery 2 weeks ago so Its been a tough time and I paid next to nothing for the clutch so mabey you guys should try and understand my view because I do understand yours on the subject.

The stock SVT clutch is cheaper and better! But if you got a good deal on the clutch net, I can see your point. I hope you don't have any issues.

Thanks for that. yea, Ive got a guy who is willing to help me out due to my situation. He is a ase master tech, and he will do the install for 200.00. So if it does turn bad I have spent under 400 for everything! Regardless next year I am going to put in a nice clutch.:laugh:

Back