• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

ignition system

DocStruthers

Veteran CEG'er
I want to replace my spark plugs.

I was looking at Iridium NGK's.
Anyone use them before and are you happy?

I am considering indexing them as well but considering the engine location
i'm sure it will be a test of patience changing them let alone indexing them at also.

What about an accel coil and some new "performance" wires!?

It will be about 160 for. .

Plugs, Indexing Washers, Wires, And coil pack.

:shrug:

Most will tell you to stick with Autolite Double Plats, our ignitions are very finicky with plug types.

I've also heartd the Accell coil will not net any gains over the stock coil, unless the stocker is not working properly.

For wires, I use Taylor's, simply because they are good wires, and coome in red. They give me no gain over any other spark plug wire.

What he ^^ said. Bosch plugs are generally considered the worst for Ford's, among Ford mechanics. I've seen a Bosch plug, crossed-over from a Motorcraft number, be a different heat range. :blackeye: Not good for driveability.

Our factory coils are very, VERY good... spend your money somewhere else. The factory wires are also very good... I'd probably only go aftermarket for a different color.

As far as indexing goes, you probably already know this but if not, be sure to get the tapered seat washers.

i have a MSD dis-4 ignition. so far, that's the only ignition component that i have replaced that makes a difference, and it's minimal.

i run the MSD, to stock coil, to ford racing 9mm wires. NGK TR6's are my plug choice. i too plan on getting an indexing kit for my car. remember, when indexing, you want the electrode to be exposed to the INTAKE side, unless you are boosted, then you want it facing toward the exhaust to prevent blowing out spark.

i've heard that the aftermarket coils are not that great as far as longevity goes, and it wont give you enough more spark power to make a difference. the only reason the MSD gives me the throttle response is because it sparks twice from 1-3000 rpm the multiple spark discharge is cool but it doesnt work after 3k rpm because there simply isnt enough time.

remember, when indexing, you want the electrode to be exposed to the INTAKE side
It's been a while, but I've heard a much more compelling argument to "face" the plug toward the exhaust side. If memory serves me, and if the information was indeed factual, the reasoning had to do with a larger concentration of ions around the exhaust valves, which would allow for faster initial flame-front travel... or something like that. If anyone can back up, correct, or rebute that, please chime in.

I think I've just found the basis for my next dyno comparison... non-indexed, vs. indexed to intake, vs. indexed to exhaust. :cool:

I think I've just found the basis for my next dyno comparison... non-indexed, vs. indexed to intake, vs. indexed to exhaust. :cool:

i bet you wont see any differences between dyno runs. at least not any that arent within the couple of HP difference you can get from run to run.

whats our spark plug depth?

i have seen 2 options for spark plugs.

one is something like .706" and the other is i think .6XX"

anyone?

I think he means how far into the head does it sit.
Those both sound really big if he's talking about intrusion into the combustion chamber... though I could be thinking of a different engine. I'm sure someone has to have a head laying around that can tell us. If I ever get around to pulling the heads off the SVT engine in the back, I'll measure for myself. :cool:

They do sound big, but that could be the depth of threads, I guess. But almost 3/4 of inch does sound kinda deep now that I think about it.

Back