• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

anyone do research on new SHO 3.5?

no actually i didnt because i just saw the commercial for the new sho and thought it was totally a new thing didnt occur and your links didnt really answer my question i was asking....

has anyone done extensive research or trying it? all i got was wiring and engine too tall by word of mouth.... ahs it been tried yet or not? a customized hood will deall with the height issue and electrical can simply be swapped from donor...

no actually i didnt because i just saw the commercial for the new sho and thought it was totally a new thing didnt occur and your links didnt really answer my question i was asking....

has anyone done extensive research or trying it? all i got was wiring and engine too tall by word of mouth.... ahs it been tried yet or not? a customized hood will deall with the height issue and electrical can simply be swapped from donor...

I think you would probably need a stadalone for the wiring. It's going to be a headache to try and get the Taurus SHO engine management to work with all the Contour gauges, etc. It's either that or you retrofit the SHO gauges to work in the Contour. You'll probably need to buy an entire totalled SHO for that. A totalled $50K SHO will probably still run you $10K.

BTW, all the discussions up to this point have been 3.5L only. Packaging the twin turbo setup too isn't really a possibility.

Yeah, but has anyone thought about mounting it in the trunk and making it a rear engine rwd vehicle....:laugh:

Last edited:
I tell you what... it will work, anything is possible. However not for the amount of money you are thinking.

Custom front subframe, new transmission, retrofitted electrical system, custom suspension, custom cooling package and like 8 cases of beer... oh and not to mention like $30k.

Well you know what? After all this SHO 3.5 talk, I'm going to get a thunderbird rear chassis and drop a 4.6 V8 in my tour. You know, make it rear wheel drive...

RWD V8 SVT Contour.... piece o' cake. :laugh:

If no ones has tried it how do they know sutff like it needs custom axles tranny wont fit ect ect? Just cause they bell housing isnt EXACTLY the same doesnt mean that some of the bolt hols will line up. Enough to make it secure that is. I ot a 1991 mr2 turbo. It came with a 2.0 turbo 4 cylinder with a distributor ignition system stock. I put a custom 2000 3.0 lexus v6 dohc with intelligent variable valve timing in the back of it. Completely different technology and motor. Was able to use my stock transmission mated right up no modes stock axles. Onlything that had to be slightly moded was the carrier bearing. Only other thing other than the wiring harness that had to be moned was making a braket going from the mount on the fender well to the engine mount timing chain side. Othere than that all mounts mounted like stock as there are roll restrickters and tranny mount that obviously hjooks to the tranny as does the contours. So the contour it would be the same thing. You wouyld only have to fab something for the pass side engine mount. And who knows you might still be able to use the stock axles especially if you are using the mtx tranny. Only thing at that point was making sure then engine it self isnt hitting the fender well, The harness you just utilize both the contours and shos harnesss together. Again people can say it wont work all they wont just like no one thought they could ever make a lexus v6 VVT-i motor work in a old mr2, but no one will know REALLY until someone trys

If no ones has tried it how do they know sutff like it needs custom axles tranny wont fit ect ect? Just cause they bell housing isnt EXACTLY the same doesnt mean that some of the bolt hols will line up. Enough to make it secure that is. I ot a 1991 mr2 turbo. It came with a 2.0 turbo 4 cylinder with a distributor ignition system stock. I put a custom 2000 3.0 lexus v6 dohc with intelligent variable valve timing in the back of it. Completely different technology and motor. Was able to use my stock transmission mated right up no modes stock axles. Onlything that had to be slightly moded was the carrier bearing. Only other thing other than the wiring harness that had to be moned was making a braket going from the mount on the fender well to the engine mount timing chain side. Othere than that all mounts mounted like stock as there are roll restrickters and tranny mount that obviously hjooks to the tranny as does the contours. So the contour it would be the same thing. You wouyld only have to fab something for the pass side engine mount. And who knows you might still be able to use the stock axles especially if you are using the mtx tranny. Only thing at that point was making sure then engine it self isnt hitting the fender well, The harness you just utilize both the contours and shos harnesss together. Again people can say it wont work all they wont just like no one thought they could ever make a lexus v6 VVT-i motor work in a old mr2, but no one will know REALLY until someone trys

Well, thank god you're not doing an english swap. Seriously, that hurt my brain to read.:laugh:

If you can do it, do it up, I'm sure everyone would like to see it, but please use the provided spell checker when you do so we can actually interpret how you did it.;):laugh:

Back