• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Quick Intake answer please!

I say do it. Not really any gains, maybe a hp or 2. Great filter, that's all I know.

Replace it for sure but not with a K&N. Get yourself one of the dry media filters that doesnt come loaded with oil and doesnt need a messy cleaning kit.

any SRI or CAI will give you a nice sound, IMO get a cheap SRI off ebay then go and buy a AEM dryflow or K&N air filter and save your self some cash
he wants to retain the stock look of the car.

Rockauto was running the deal of the century on fram airhog filters wich are just like the k&n check their site.

Replace it for sure but not with a K&N. Get yourself one of the dry media filters that doesnt come loaded with oil and doesnt need a messy cleaning kit.

:shrug:

I'm not sure why you hate so much on K&N, 90%+ of the members on here use them, and never had a problem.

:shrug:

I'm not sure why you hate so much on K&N, 90%+ of the members on here use them, and never had a problem.

I only hate on them because I've had sensors fail when they got the K&N oil into them and because there are better options now that dry performance filters are available now. And trust me when K&N reimburses you for the sensors that says a lot about admitting their could be a problem even though they wont come out and say it.

I only hate on them because I've had sensors fail when they got the K&N oil into them and because there are better options now that dry performance filters are available now. And trust me when K&N reimburses you for the sensors that says a lot about admitting their could be a problem even though they wont come out and say it.

+1 on the K&N ruining sensors. in 2001 Ford replaced my Airflow sensor (under warranty) and told me not to put the K&N back in. I did not and all my problems were resolved.

that has everything to do with people not properly oiling their filters when they are cleaned. people think that the filter element has to be red when they oil it. this is overkill. nobody realizes that the filter element is what does the filtering. the oil is an added protection for very small particles, but not much oil is needed at all. people use that small bottle applicator but its actually done best with a spray bottle, so it will disperse and soak into the element. you don't need to make the things wet lol

I always do mine when I have at least a few hours for the oil to "settle into" the filter, have never had an issue with this method. :shrug: Just my .02.

that has everything to do with people not properly oiling their filters when they are cleaned. people think that the filter element has to be red when they oil it. this is overkill. nobody realizes that the filter element is what does the filtering. the oil is an added protection for very small particles, but not much oil is needed at all. people use that small bottle applicator but its actually done best with a spray bottle, so it will disperse and soak into the element. you don't need to make the things wet lol

These were both new filters straight out of the box/bag. They had no oil added to them and ruined a sensor on a Ranger and also our baby M3. Of course this was back before I thought to search how well K&N filters actually filtered compared to the gain in air flow or we would have saved out money to start with.

Back